4-player co-op template (W/Gamepad Support) suggestions

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Players follower. use it for anything which follows the player
  • I'm creating a template for 4 player co-op with gamepad support to sell on the Scirra Store. I am actually surprised to see no projects relating to local co-op. What are things you'd be interested in seeing as part of this template? Currently it's built with platformers in mind. I could easily do separate ones with different control styles, or package them all in one.

So far I have:

-Character Select screen - 4 players have 6 characters to choose from

-Dynamic Gamepad addition - If a player boots up a connected controller, the character select screen automatically recognizes this and knows to allow multiple characters to select before going to the first level.

-Can be easily modified to allow 5++ players (everything is controlled via Family Bahaviors and variables, so adding additional players is easy).

Or is this something that no one will have interest in?

Thanks for your feedback!

• Sounds great to me. I haven't written one myself yet, and have several game concepts in my idea list.

In fact, I have a few Hot Seat turn based games, (I call them Pass the tablet games,) made already. I do like local player games.

So is yours all on one screen? (device)

• Sounds great to me. I haven't written one myself yet, and have several game concepts in my idea list.

In fact, I have a few Hot Seat turn based games, (I call them Pass the tablet games,) made already. I do like local player games.

So is yours all on one screen? (device)

I guess I should mention it's with platformers in mind, so yes it's all on one screen. I could easily do any topdown game as well. Maybe I should do them both separately?

• I would definitely be interested in that template. I have wanted to add local co-op to my games but it hasn't been a priority for me so having most of the work done would be very helpful. Not sure what other features would be nice to have but sounds like you covered the core features that are needed.

• I would definitely be interested in that template. I have wanted to add local co-op to my games but it hasn't been a priority for me so having most of the work done would be very helpful. Not sure what other features would be nice to have but sounds like you covered the core features that are needed.

I'm guessing most would want co-op for platformers right? I feel like thats more popular than 8 directional control, although I could do both

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I would think if you have the coop setup for a platformer it would be pretty easy to convert the controls for any other game type if your semi experienced with construct. When I made the little attempt I have done so far at local multiplayer my biggest issue was working through the two things you already had (a character select screen where players could select different characters and assign them to controls and the dynamic gamepad additions.)

• Here are few other features I have thought of that I would put to use at least.

• split screen and shared screen options
    • dynamic splitting screen like the newer lego games have - would LOVE to have this
    • multiple inventory screens - it is really annoying in games for each player to have to open inventory/shop screens separately and really slows down the game play

-color swapped characters/skins - lets players select their character and then skin/color

If I think of anything else I will come back and post them.

• Here are few other features I have thought of that I would put to use at least.

- split screen and shared screen options

- dynamic splitting screen like the newer lego games have - would LOVE to have this

- multiple inventory screens - it is really annoying in games for each player to have to open inventory/shop screens separately and really slows down the game play

-color swapped characters/skins - lets players select their character and then skin/color

If I think of anything else I will come back and post them.

All great ideas! But Im going doing this as barebones as possible haha so some players might not use health in the same way I would, or need an inventory, and I just want to get this base function out there.

Here's the Demo link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104 ... index.html

Can you do multiple cameras?! I would have no idea how to split up the screen.

• I'm creating a template for 4 player co-op with gamepad support to sell on the Scirra Store. I am actually surprised to see no projects relating to local co-op. What are things you'd be interested in seeing as part of this template? Currently it's built with platformers in mind. I could easily do separate ones with different control styles, or package them all in one.

DEMO - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104 ... index.html

Store - https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-fr ... pport-1508

So far I have:

-Character Select screen - 4 players have 6 characters to choose from

-Dynamic Gamepad addition - If a player boots up a connected controller, the character select screen automatically recognizes this and knows to allow multiple characters to select before going to the first level.

-Can be easily modified to allow 5++ players (everything is controlled via Family Bahaviors and variables, so adding additional players is easy).

Or is this something that no one will have interest in?

Thanks for your feedback!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)