Nearly daily [EFFECTS] by Somebody - neat things + big GIFs

5 favourites
From the Asset Store
Give your players time based rewards, checks how long player has been away to display time remaining to reward.
  • Awesome!! I just want to say that you should make the Y to negative value to make it more like Krakout.

In your example, it scrolls in opposite direction for Y. (Bounce.capx) Not that it matters too much really.

Oh, well, that's an oversight so here's a super-mildly improved version

• At first I thought it was just a minor update with the correct Y but then my irony detector told me to download, and look there, quite a difference! Nice graphic and effects! Did you make this just in hours? I see you used a number of your effects as well as your generator to make the graphic. It is like "spot the Somebody feature"

Great way to show a demo of what one can make with C2 and Somebody's parts.

• At first I thought it was just a minor update with the correct Y but then my irony detector told me to download, and look there, quite a difference! Nice graphic and effects! Did you make this just in hours?

In about 20 minutes or so for the attached version Such is the beauty of StuffGEN (hohoho). I have been thinking of making a more "inclusive" demo that shows all sorts of effects in a single place, perhaps this will become it.

It took a dozen Shaders, but seems like I'm finally close to making the one I really needed for StuffGEN, so soon the focus will shift. But still, more will come, sooner or later

Edit: Attaching a slightly crazier version of the second version.

• I have to look at this StuffGEN now.

As for using shaders in this little game, why not add enemies floating around that utilize some of the shaders. And also why not trigger a beam (from bonus maybe) that use the twist shader (in combination with scroll)!

• Somebody Awesome work as always. The drop shadow effect would have saved me a lot of work as well if it was included in C2 by default.

Keep up the fantastic work!

• Great stuff here, I love the twist effect, going to put it to good use to make some awesome weapons effects and trails for Star Nomad 2.

I've got a small request, is it possible to make an effect that modifies opacity of a sprite based on its length? Like a fading Laser that's bright at the source of origin and it fades as its further away from the source. I can do it via photoshop but I'd like it to be dynamic in-game that one can change the variable to make various intensities.

• I've got a small request, is it possible to make an effect that modifies opacity of a sprite based on its length? Like a fading Laser that's bright at the source of origin and it fades as its further away from the source. I can do it via photoshop but I'd like it to be dynamic in-game that one can change the variable to make various intensities.

Like a gradient fade? Or could you supply an example?

I would repeat the usual "It's better to pre-make simple things than use Shaders a lot", but since the next version of your game is aimed at non-mobile platforms (right?) that shouldn't be a problem - in my testing it takes something like 4000 objects with Shaders to get real slowdown and about 2000 if the Shader parameters change every tick. Since I'm on a potato here, basically any PC should do just fine (at least with my simple Shaders).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I normally follow that approach also, to keep it simple, but in this case, I need something very dynamic.

Yes, its a gradient fade, can be left to right or right to left etc, but with variables that we can change dynamically via events/actions. Would be great if it had similar options as the default C2 Fade, such as start, wait, fade time and "destroy on fadeout" options.

Yes it's aimed at PC/MAC. It definitely allows a lot more creative freedom than making a mobile game, particular for Android.

• Yes, its a gradient fade, can be left to right or right to left etc, but with variables that we can change dynamically via events/actions. Would be great if it had similar options as the default C2 Fade, such as start, wait, fade time and "destroy on fadeout" options.

All right, I already had plans for linear and radial fades (have a interactive presentation project coming up, could be useful there) so this is very likely to be available. There's no real way to make a Shader remember something, but what I had in mind was position and width (of the gradient fadey part) - so you can programmatically change the position and achieve a decent amount of effects that way.

• Somebody I never though of gradient fades, that looks super interesting to play with : )

• Somebody

Any chance of a Flash effect. I doesnt have to be fancy, just some sort of on/off time control. I know there is a flash behavior but it would be nice for some simple flashing lights on background graphics.

• Totally possible, but a great waste of shader resources - since then every tick it would just say to every pixel "be this opacity". I think you are better off with the behaviour or a sine behaviour with opacity for way more control.

• Wooop, these are dang nice! Are they free to use as long as I put your name in the credits?

• They are simply free to use, sharing if you make something cool would be nice.

• Amazing collection of shaders!

Just testing the drop shadow, and it appears as though the shadow will only appear within the bounds of the original sprite. This means if I crop my sprite closely to the edges of the image, the drop shadow becomes sort of useless because it just crops itself. It would be great if you could modify it so that the shadow could appear beyond the edges... otherwise the only way it would be useful is if all my sprites are giant sheets of empty space with a tiny image in the middle.

edit: More testing... Nevermind. It works fine when applied to a layer, rather than directly to a sprite. Carry on.

more edit: I does however, seem to break when a sprite is overlapping the edge of the screen.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)