Game fails updating to new version

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Create your game with this complete pack of images and animations!
  • Problem Description

When I upload a new version of a game (uploading every single of the game files and replacing the previous ones, even offline.appcache), many of my players still don't get a full update. The game shows an "update in progress..." message (checking if the game's updating through the browser plugin) as well as the current loadingprogress in percents, and it usually stops at some point and never finishes updating. So I told my players to refresh the page when that happens, but I was afraid that would only leave them with the older version of the game to play with. So I made a new dummy application just to test updating, and have tested it on 5 different computers, plus 1 smartphone, which means a great total of 11 browsers (mostly Firefox, but also Safari, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Pale Moon and SeaMonkey), and my game just won't update. I tried refreshing, reloading, I tried uploading 4 different version of the game, and I also tried changing the version number, and even after all of this, the game still plays from the very first version that was loaded into cache, and never updates. This whole process has taken more than an hour now, so I take it as if the cache needed time to clear itself, it would have done it by now.

My games are hosted on Google Drive.

Attach a Capx

I can't really attach a project as it won't change things much since it needs to be uploaded, then changed, then uploaded again.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Creating a game
    • Uploading it
    • Playing it
    • Changing the game
    • Uploading it again with all of its files
    • Playing it again

Observed Result

The game doesn't change after the first time you play, no matter a new version(s) have been uploaded since, or starts updating and is never able to complete the update.

Expected Result

The game updates correctly every time a new version is available.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (YES)
    • FireFox: (YES)
    • Internet Explorer: (YES)
    • Safari : (YES)
    • Pale Moon : (YES)
    • SeaMonkey : (YES)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7, Mac OS X, Windows XP

Construct 2 Version ID

r184 since I had script-minifying issues with r190 and was too short in time in a game creating project to deal with it.

• I have found the solution. I thought of deleting this post, but as this seems to be a recurring issue, I'll explain how I resolved it in case it might help others.

In this case, using the browser's error console, I could see that the game would update but could not download one image file, always the same file. That was due to Google Drive being really glitchy, and creating duplicate files instead of correctly syncing every time I replaced my files with new ones, as it should have. But it was creating duplicates only on Google Drive online, while what my Google Drive application for PC showed was alright. Updating Google Drive online and re-downloading and reinstalling the Google Drive application did automatically resolve the issue. Phew!

Sorry for the bother.

• Closing as a problem with the host. You shouldn't use free hosts like Google Drive for hosting games, since they are pretty flakey and will have low bandwidth limits before they block the files.

• Well, I think I will keep doing it for a little while anyway, until games start paying a bit more given the amount of time spent making them, that is. (Meaning I understand you guys when you decided to create Construct 2 and put a price on it)

This said, Google Drive still creates duplicates, at least temporarily, and I've also got issues with old deleted files being still accessible through their link even if they don't show in my Drive, and this sometimes messes with the game's self-updating as well. I'd recommend against using Google Drive at least for now, as it's an unreliable service, without even talking about the eventual bandwith issues that might come in the future

• what if you drop your game files under a paid server ?

i have the same problem with my game, witch i update frequently update but i still get the oldest version to test...

what is the cheat for solving this cache problem ?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I use BitBalloon as a free host now. It works much better than Google Drive so far.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)