Construct2 freezes when saving or backing up

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Match the similar cards with each other and free all animals!
  • Windows 8.1 64 bit, r193 when it last happened.

• I'm using Windows 7, 64-bit with Construct2 r194 64bit.

I'll get a vid together to show ya.

• I just upgraded to 194.2 and recorded this video:

• Nitro187 = The video is private

• Fixed - I meant to put unlisted.... didn't want anyone searching for a C2 on youtube to display a bug.

• I get this freeze too on occasions, in windows 7 64 bit. My game is saved as a project.

• GAH. IT KEEPS HAPPENING. So frustrating....

Perhaps if the save mechanism changed... for example, instead of trying to save an auto-backup file as the >same< name... you save it as backup2, and if that succeeds... then replace backup1?

It may seem easy to just close google drive\drop box first... but sometimes you forget to do that - and in all honesty, you shouldn't need to.

Blah....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Perhaps if the save mechanism changed... for example, instead of trying to save an auto-backup file as the >same< name... you save it as backup2, and if that succeeds... then replace backup1?

It already basically does that. I've reviewed the code and I can't see why it would hang. It first saves to a .capx.backup1.tmp file, and only after a successful save, it deletes the existing .capx.backup1 file then renames the .capx.backup1.tmp file to .capx.backup1. So it's not even directly writing to the file. Even if the file is locked, then the delete will fail, then the rename will fail, and then it finishes the backup routine. That's what I see happening when I test it. It shouldn't hang, because AFAIK the delete and rename operations should fail instead of wait if it can't access the file. Perhaps there is some other software installed that is conflicting with this.

• Perhaps there is some other software installed that is conflicting with this.

Perhaps Dropbox and Google Drive both cause the issue... I've never used Dropbox before, but another user had the same issue. I only seem to have this problem when Google Drive is running, so I don't really know.

I had a problem over the weekend, where backup1 was not accessible, and Construct2 said it couldn't rename backup1.tmp to it, and that I should report it... so you're definitely right on that part... but I can't seem to figure out why this happens... as you can see in the video, I can make it happen on command.

Is there no way to add a 'cancel' to the save process? Even a timer, that if it has taken over 2 minutes to save, to come up with a box saying "This save is taking longer than it should... do you wish to cancel?" or something? That way people can double\triple check everything before saving again... or worst case scenario, save in a different directory completely?

• Overly aggressive anti-virus? Maybe heuristics detects temp files and deletes or locks occasionally when shouldn't?

Just thinking out loud. #tryingtohelp

• Overly aggressive anti-virus? Maybe heuristics detects temp files and deletes or locks occasionally when shouldn't?

Just thinking out loud. #tryingtohelp

I don't use antivirus.... never have, never will.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Still does it on v195.... but I have some new information that may be helpful to you; it's the process monitor output of Construct2... so you can see exactly what it does... and I did the output for all 4: .Capx with and without a lock, and .c2proj with and without a lock.... so you can see where it hangs, etc. (Only hangs on the ProjectLocked)

I hope this helps you in finding this pesky bug. Looks to me, that even though it sees a sharing violation\locked file... it attempts to use backup0, and then reverts back to backup1 on again later on in the saving sequence.

• I just want to add my name to the list of people affected by this bug, whatever it may be. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with SP1. C2 r195. I'm saving my project as a .caproj. It seems to happen at random for me, or at least it's unpredictable. On the bottom left it hangs saying "Saving Auto-Backup file...". I have to end the process manually to get back into the program and all my unsaved data is lost. I am using Dropbox as my daily backup location as well, not Google Drive. I would love to be kept up to date on any progress because it's getting frustrating to lose so much data all the time (now I'm saving after every change just to make sure).

• I'm really hoping in the next beta this has been addressed.... fingers crossed.

• Nitro187 - the only difference I can see from those logs is when it's moving around the backupN files it gets "SHARING VIOLATION" for one of them. But then it goes ahead and carries on anyway, which is why I don't understand why it hangs, it appears to show it continued after that and it must be hanging somewhere else.

Does this only happen if you have your actual .capx file in your Dropbox (or Google Drive) folder? You don't need to do that to back it up, just set one of your backup folders to the Dropbox and as you work on your local .capx it will copy it to Dropbox from time to time anyway. I'm pretty sure that backup process only copies a single file in one go, so it should work with these file syncing apps.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)