Q3D V-2.4 [3D Physics + Skeletal Animation UPDATE]

From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • Ubivis It might be a problem with the UV's of the model using texture repeat, and tif files aren't supported by browsers so try converting the textures to png. you might need to set "ST wrapping" to "repeat wrapping" on the texture you create for it to work properly i think for this model, but even then it might not look right because of the specific engine this model was made for or program this file was exported from so you may have to fix the uv's yourself somehow in blender.

• I managed to get a simple blocky thing up and running. Finally managed to load a texture for a material without running into errors. It took a lot of trial and error, and had to go back and forth with the example capx's until it finally worked. My current opinion is that there is a bit of work to do with making the plugin more accessible, and as others have said, it would greatly benefit from some documentation to clear things up. Obviously stuff like that takes time, and I'm happy to have something to play with until then. Still trying to figure out how to load a sprite, and the particulars of creating and applying materials to objects. It isn't exactly user friendly at the moment.

Does anyone know of any good resources for learning the basics of relevant 3D game concepts? I've googled around, and there are lots of bloated tutorials that either focus too much on a particular engine or language (which obviously doesn't help with Construct) or just assume too much understanding at the beginning. Things that should be simple seem quite a chore, like, you have to load a texture file into Construct first, and then also load in the event sheet, and then create a material and reference the loaded file, and then create a piece of geometry, and apply the material. It's like 4 or 5 steps that could (should?) be taken care of behind the scenes. It's not like you'll ever apply a material without first loading the texture, right? I mean, Construct is generally very good at hiding the unnecessary complexity from the user. It's what makes Construct so awesome. If you've imported an image file into the project, I think it should be taken as granted that you'll be wanting to load it before you use it.

Anyway, take this as a comment rather than a complaint. It's not like I'm unhappy with the purchase. It's just that this plugin has so much potential to completely transform Construct, and I hope it gets there.

Thank you for the kind words! I'm definitely trying to make the plugin more accessible but i didn't want to make the plugin limited so i tried to get all the important core functionality as un-user friendly as some of it is into the plugin first. As i've said, I'm working on a separate sub-plugin that already handles all the model loading, scaling, placement in the editor, etc for you without the hassle of loading stuff manually if you don't want to. Features like simple physics are probably also going to be a part of the plugin, but no promises there yet.

The thing with the object-material-texture pipeline Q3D is set up to use, is that unlike a sprite in construct, which is a completely defined object within construct with its own construct specific rules, 3D models can come from such a great number of places with a bunch of individual needs with regards to texturing etc. It's not as simple as saying this is your texture and thats the end of it. UV settings are important, blending settings are important, sharing textures is important, sharing materials is important, a bunch of things are really really really important to get a 3D object with textures looking proper. Sometimes people don't want a texture at all for certain aspects like environment mapping or specular mapping, maybe sometimes they don't want a diffuse map, sometimes they want the diffuse map to also be the bump map. These kinds of needs were important to address so i couldn't just force people into a paradigm that doesn't work in all cases.

I'm limited by the SDK in what i can do right now, i can't add my loading stuff to the construct loading system (which is something i wanted to do) because the SDK gives me no way of doing that easily. I can't (don't think i can) get a list of the files in the files folder, because the SDK has no documented way of doing this. There are lots of little things like this which i can't do anything about right now but i'm trying my best to make the best use of whats available.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ubivis - that model you linked has very poorly laid out UV's and its also a multi part model that would require some putting back together within either a 3D app or parenting stuff in the Q3D plugin to get looking properly.

So that's probably why you are seeing strange textures when you import it.

• Wow! Oh Wow! 3D for C2?! Me interest max!! Not sure why, but I can't test out the tinytank demo. I see the instructions but get a blank black screen. Really want to see what this baby is capable of doing!

• Ubivis It might be a problem with the UV's of the model using texture repeat, and tif files aren't supported by browsers so try converting the textures to png. you might need to set "ST wrapping" to "repeat wrapping" on the texture you create for it to work properly i think for this model, but even then it might not look right because of the specific engine this model was made for or program this file was exported from so you may have to fix the uv's yourself somehow in blender.

Converting to png was the first step I did.

I will try to recreate the texture with blender... so far, works great. What I got so far is an editor where I can place houses (at the moment, just cubes as long I really understand the model loading) in real time and saving it as a json file to reload my design.

• Wow! Oh Wow! 3D for C2?! Me interest max!! Not sure why, but I can't test out the tinytank demo. I see the instructions but get a blank black screen. Really want to see what this baby is capable of doing!

Got the same at first load. Try to reload the page and wait again. You can also open the debug bar of your browser to see if there is any JS bug or other.

By the way, great work QuaziGNRLnose Your approach is really nice (trying to get the maximum of the actual possibilities of the SDK).

• Impressive work! Will future updates be free? Or will there be a discount?

Whatever it costs, I'm still definitely buying this.

• jhice, thanks, it works fine now.......and WOW again!! Here!! Just take my money!!! Haha me want this plugin!!

• anyone figured out already on how to repeat a material?

Problem:

For my playaround, I set up a cube that renders a material on the inside (you walk on the inside of the cube). The cube itself has a random size in width, height and length. When I do assign the material to the cube, it gets streched.

Does anyone found out a way to repeat a material instead of stretching on the object?

Demo Instead of that washy streched texture, it should be drawn over and over again until the whole object is covered.

Problem:

For my playaround, I set up a cube that renders a material on the inside (you walk on the inside of the cube). The cube itself has a random size in width, height and length. When I do assign the material to the cube, it gets streched.

Does anyone found out a way to repeat a material instead of stretching on the object?

Demo Instead of that washy streched texture, it should be drawn over and over again until the whole object is covered.

when you create a texture, you can change a few properties with some of the texture actions. one of them is "set ST wrap" which allows you to choose various texture repetition modes in the S-T directions, and another is "set UV repeat" which sets how many times the texture is repeated in a give spot where it would normally only repeat once. if you don't set ST wrap to "Repeat", UV repeat will just create an edge clamped texture.

My PC is hanging out a bit while trying the demo. And the window is hanging too (like an infinite loop or something).

• I'm limited by the SDK in what i can do right now, i can't add my loading stuff to the construct loading system (which is something i wanted to do) because the SDK gives me no way of doing that easily. I can't (don't think i can) get a list of the files in the files folder, because the SDK has no documented way of doing this. There are lots of little things like this which i can't do anything about right now but i'm trying my best to make the best use of whats available.

Without the help of Scirra there would always be limits. Important plugins like these need to be an integral part of C2, to have support of tools in the editor, etc...

• > anyone figured out already on how to repeat a material?

>

> Demo Instead of that washy streched texture, it should be drawn over and over again until the whole object is covered.

>

My PC is hanging out a bit while trying the demo. And the window is hanging too (like an infinite loop or something).

Yes, there was a problem with one event, I forgot to add the trigger once for the object creation, so it got created all the time

[attachment=1:27xg4h78][/attachment:27xg4h78]

when you create a texture, you can change a few properties with some of the texture actions. one of them is "set ST wrap" which allows you to choose various texture repetition modes in the S-T directions, and another is "set UV repeat" which sets how many times the texture is repeated in a give spot where it would normally only repeat once. if you don't set ST wrap to "Repeat", UV repeat will just create an edge clamped texture.

hmm, seems I'm just not enough into that 3D Stuff yet. Your suggested way seems not to work for me:

When Q3D.LoadStatus=1

• > I create texture from preloaded image
    • > Set texture wrap S to (Repeat) and wrap T to (Repeat)
    • > Create mesh basic material from that texture
    • > Set created material to draw from the inside and outside
    • > create my object with my cube geometry and the created material

Anything I'm doing wrong here?

For convenience, CAPX attached

[attachment=0:27xg4h78][/attachment:27xg4h78]

• Bought it already, and will patiently wait for when QuaziGNRLnose is finished with the next set of updates and has created the tutorials........am I the only one that feels like a kid waiting for the clock to strike 12 on Christmas night?

• Okay, slowly but steady I get used to the functions

If anyone is interested in having a look:

Dungeon Map Creator - Alpha One

You start at coordinates 0,0 and can add new parts to the map on the top right (just the corrdinated and click "add"). The Textbox below will give the JSON Array for your level created, but does not load it yet from there (this will be one of the next steps after I added "Walls")

If someone is interested to learn from this (nothing complex in there yet, but took me quite a while to get it to work as it is right now), drop me a PM and I will let you know the URL to download the Alphastate.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)