[Plugin] Spritefont (28th August 2012)

From the Asset Store
Forget about default textbox restrictions, you can create sprites atop of the textbox
  • Joannesalfa, thanks, now I know where the issue is. It looks like the in-memory canvas element isn't being created in CocoonJS, even though they are supposed to fully support it.

I'll see what I can do.

• For anyone who's interested, I've written a small utility for generating Sprite Font files. Available here: GiveYourFontsMono(spacing)

Requires .NET 4 be installed. Usually available through Windows Update.

Just enter the character set, set the parameters, and save the file.

Very well done, Sir! Thank you, big time!!

Integrated in C2 would really be a killer. Ashley?

• Joannesalfa, thanks, now I know where the issue is. It looks like the in-memory canvas element isn't being created in CocoonJS, even though they are supposed to fully support it.

I'll see what I can do.

I'm glad you will see what you can do, i can test the game if you updated the plugin.

• Hey, how is going with your plugin? i would love to have a new update, i'm still an impatient XD

• Here is the error on CocoonJS when using spritefont:

JSUtilities Exception: TypeError: Result of expression 'a.canvas' [undefined] is not an object. Cause: Tag: requestAnimationFrame Function: function() {a.hd();}

Just thought I'd add that I also ran into this same error when using spritefont and exporting it to test on the CocoonJS app. The game tested great over preview, but loading it up on the phone gave this error and broke all touch control for whatever reason.

It's a wonderful plugin though. I received this error exporting with r101 just to clarify.

• Mipey, your plugin is awesome!

Any chance we will see an update in that future that:

1) allows us to see the text in our preview layout?

2) has an icon attached to the plugin?

thanks

• bigpappapuck: Thanks!

1) That's rather difficult, because the editor uses a fundamentally different rendering system. C2 runtime has two different rendering systems already, canvas 2d and webgl each of which require a different implementation. I found the C2 editor much more difficult to code for. So I can't really give a timeline.

2) What do you mean by that? It already has an icon, kindly provided by JohnnySix

• 1) no worries, i use text boxes and type what the spritefont says as a workaround

2) ah... if you already have an icon, then I must not have your updated version!

thanks for the quick reply!

• 2) ah... if you already have an icon, then I must not have your updated version!

Do you mean the icon in the Project object list window?

There is an icon for the large dialog windows, such as add object or edit event, it looks like the text object icon but with blocks forming the T rather than a typeface T.

The only place I don't see an icon is in the project object list, which has no icon.

• Wow, nice plugin, Mipey.

I'm so late to see this plugin.

Anyway, nice support for WebGL :)

• Just wanted to pop in and see if people were having issues with Cocoon and sprite font like I was, and people are. I updated to the latest version and running C2 103.2. I'm compiling in Cocoon now and I will post my results.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • OK, so I tried 3 different projects using sprite font. All with the same result, the layout using sprite font doesn't load. Not just the sprite font objects, but none of the other objects as well. All I get is my background image. Like I said, I tried it on 3 different games, some simple, some more complex.

I then tried a game without sprite font and cocoon worked fine.

I just wanted to update you. Wish I could give more information than that, but it's all I really have to go on :).

And thanks so hard for working on this plugin, I believe it's one of the best plugins for C2 and wish it was implemented in standard builds.

• ArcadEd, thanks for the effort!

I am quite aware of the issue, but currently I don't see a way to tackle it. So I'm afraid to say that SpriteFont doesn't really play nice with CocoonJS.

A rewrite is pending, basically a slimmed-down fork of SpriteFont (no backwards compatibility). Right now, however, I am swamped in projects, so it may take some time.

• It's ok, I appreciate what you have done so far.

• A rewrite is pending, basically a slimmed-down fork of SpriteFont (no backwards compatibility). Right now, however, I am swamped in projects, so it may take some time.

Mipey By no backwards compatibility do you think we will need to re-create all objects that are created using current plugin? If so I would want to hold off on creating sprite font objects in my project until after the new version, or will I be able to not lose the work I put in now?

Thanks!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)