[PLUGIN] Paster

2 favourites
From the Asset Store
The I18N (Translation) is a Construct plugin created to translate text in game.
  • the Mnk

I'm not really making examples as of late, but two ways come to mind:

you could make a second paster and set that to the size you want, then position that over the part of the tilemap you want, paste the tilemap, then paste that paster to the other one.

another idea is to utilize the draw quad actions. You define the four corners, and the uv's of them of the texture of some object. More math to figure out beforehand is needed for this, and it would only work if you can grab the tilemap's texture, I don't think you can though.

Hopefully that can give some idea's. I haven't verified any of it so I may be off here and there.

Thanks R0J0 I will do the tests soon.

• Hi R0J0hound, can you add the following actions to the awesome Paster plugin?

1, appearance actions: mirror and flip

2, size & position action: scale

also, it would be great if new pasted in objects and new images loaded from URL could inherit the mirror, flip, scale properties

I think it would be handy for dress up games and house decoration games when you have hundreds of assets.

Thank you for the great plugins you had developed.

• Hi tonypond

For mirror and flip you can set the width and height to negative. I find that more useful as the actions you refer to do that anyway and are redundant.

I didn't add scale as that's based on image size and I thought it made things unintuitive because you can change the texture size with the set resolution action. It can be done with the set size action if it's really needed.

So I think I purposely didn't add those two features.

Any pasted objects should draw exactly as they are overlapping the paster object. So that last bit should be true. I don't think you can load an image into the paster object but you can load it into a Sprite and paste it.

I'm glad you find it useful but I'm avoiding updating it unless I absolutely have to.

• For mirror and flip you can set the width and height to negative. I find that more useful as the actions you refer to do that anyway and are redundant.

I didn't add scale as that's based on image size and I thought it made things unintuitive because you can change the texture size with the set resolution action. It can be done with the set size action if it's really needed.

So I think I purposely didn't add those two features.

Any pasted objects should draw exactly as they are overlapping the paster object. So that last bit should be true. I don't think you can load an image into the paster object but you can load it into a Sprite and paste it.

I'm glad you find it useful but I'm avoiding updating it unless I absolutely have to.

Thank you for the reply, i got your ideas, however, its too complicated for me because i have hundreds of assets with totally different image sizes.

i know sprites can handle scale and mirror, however, load image in sprite overwrites all instances with the same frame, In order to have 100 instances loading different images in a layout, i will have to add 100 frames to the sprite.

Anyway, thank you for trying to help, i appreciate it.

• Can you convert this to C3?

• LaurenceBedford

No. The sdk doesn't support a plugin like this currently and I don't think I have enough time or interest to do it if it did.

• rojohound is there another way to do split screen without plugins?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Maybe double all your objects on separate layers and use blend modes with rectangles to clip stuff to a view. To be faster you'd probably just use events and behaviors on the first originals and position the copies. There are likely lots features that wouldn't work well with that though.

• Would it be possible to load a paster texture into a sprite?

I'm wondering because I plan on using paster as a "terrain destruction" particle; it would paste the tile, destroy it and act as a particle with Litetween and Bullet behavior and I guess that lots of sprites would be less cpu consuming than pasters.

Also, I'm curious; how does a Paster with a texture loaded (16x16 for example) compare to a Sprite performance-wise?

Thanks in advance

Edit: fixed a thing, my browser had a little seizure

• I can see that R0J0hound is probably not really interested in these older plugins, but... perhaps there is a small chance of having a look at this:

It seems like if you have Shaders that rely on extend-box-horizontal and extend-box-vertical to work they get messed up when pasting (things that happen on the very edge do not happen), because, I'm assuming, Paster doesn't add anything to the sprite size. An option to overcome this is not having your sprite fill the entirety of the image, even a 1px transparent "outline" helps, BUT... in my case that's not an option, need to have the correct sprite size.

Tried looking into the source code, it seems like there may have been something that deals with this, but it's commented out. My skills are insufficient to figure it out... if there's any chance of R0J0hound or someone else who understands plugins to look at this I would be eternally grateful.

To make it easier I have prepared a little demo capx (with the shader included): h t t p s ://files . fm/u/7epu5z3v#_

And example images here: h t t p : //imgur . com/a/1rlYp (Will have to remove spaces, sorry).

• ydobemos

Hello, I don't have a solution for that. When making the plugin I took the functions C2 uses to draw effects and modified them, since I couldn't leverage them as is. I also made gross simplifications neglecting a lot of the features effects support in C2.

Anyways the solution would be to re-examine how C2 draws effects and get familiar with what it does and why. Then start over from scratch to come up with a solution. Paster can be utilized as example for some aspects but not all. Bear in mind this is what has needed to be done since I made the plugin and I never had the time or interest in doing so even when I was actively developing it.

• R0J0hound

Thanks for the reply! I see. It's more than likely that in that case I'll just add more transparent padding to the sprites and try to use math to resize them properly to keep exact sizes needed...

But also does this mean I have your blessing to try and modify Paster should I decide to go down that path?

• go for it

• Actually it helps to sleep on a problem...

Yesterday I was digging into the code and hitting walls everywhere, when today I realized the solution was right there the whole time!

Well, it's a stupid, lazy solution, but still: Just use a Temp Paster object that's bigger than your sprite, For each sprite paste the sprite into the Temp Paster, apply the shader effects to that and paste that into your main Paster object. Voila!

Reduced the resolution on purpose, so we can see it working. Works well enough for my needs. Thanks again for making such a great plugin.

• hmott

The fact it's flipped is due to some graphics card drivers. It can be detected and corrected, but thanks to chrome and firefox updates I can no longer use webgl on my machine, so I haven't touched that portion. I'm hesitant to do a fix that I can't test.

Sorry to bother you but,

The issue with the Text objects still persist, they are past flipped;

Could you please give me some insights on how I can fix it, do you think it's easy to fix ?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)