How do I Clean a Slot ??

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Slot Machine Games. suitable for workers who work from home because it has player names that must be played alternately
  • Yeah as previously mentioned I've never seen a reset game button and I'm not sure why you've included it. Surely it should just be New Game which starts fresh or Load Game which loads a slot. I'm not sure what reset game does, even as a player I would be wondering.

• Yeah as previously mentioned I've never seen a reset game button and I'm not sure why you've included it. Surely it should just be New Game which starts fresh or Load Game which loads a slot. I'm not sure what reset game does, even as a player I would be wondering.

Would be the same as "reset global variables to default", or the same as new game.

The player can have two slots. He can load the slot one or reset the slot one, load slot two or reset slot two. But look at what I called "Reset" as "New Game". Same thing. Just using this naming for production.

• If you ask my subjective opinion (and i can't see why you should care about my opinion at all) there MUST be an option to clear save slot's data.

There is a portion of people (like me for example) who has that perfectionism attitude. Like if i don't use a save slot - it must be sterile clean. Or if i accidentally used wrong slot i would wish to clear it.

I've searched the forums some time ago and Ashley never commented on that issue. My only guess is that there are some weird and/or complex technical limitations on at least some export platforms.

, to determine which slot to save to, i use a separate global variable. It works ok.

• Ok Ashley ? Tom ?

I'll try that NoSoul8 , thank you. And yes, your subjective opinion is not wrong. There MUST be an option to clear save slot's data.

• Ok guys, I'm sad.

It still a mystery to me. I really can't see how to do it. I'm sad.

That's the bullshit I could think of, but I'm ashamed of:

It just makes no sense that a game engine can not access data from save slots.

I think I'll need some proper help, with logic explanation and perhaps an example. Please?

And Scirra, you need to work this out. Construct is out for years right? Wtf? Ashley

• The feature to delete a save slot is missing, but you can work around it by using LocalStorage to track which slots are in use.

• The feature to delete a save slot is missing, but you can work around it by using LocalStorage to track which slots are in use.

Still have no idea how to do what I want, after reading your tutorial on savegames and another in how to use LocalStorage. It sounds not possible to have a decent slots system :/ I'm happy with the rest of the engine tho; thank you very much, be blessed, and sorry if I was rude. Try to include that in the plans for next versions, please.

• Still have no idea how to do what I want, after reading your tutorial on savegames and another in how to use LocalStorage. It sounds not possible to have a decent slots system :/ I'm happy with the rest of the engine tho; thank you very much, be blessed, and sorry if I was rude. Try to include that in the plans for next versions, please.

I'll try to do smth i do close to never - share my code.

I have 3 sprites for load game (saveload1,2,3) and 3 more to start a new game(newsave1,2,3).

And a global variable "SaveSlot" to determine which slot is used.

Player can either load from a slot 1,2,3 or start a new game in one of them.

Function call "startnewgame" does whatever you game does at normal start.

You can do it without localstorage, but it will be a blind pick. I use local storage to save key progress variables (e.g.: playername, hp, money) like hp1, hp2, hp3. Load LS at game start to variables/dictionary/array and use it to text objects at corresponding save slots to mark them.

Btw construct offers extremely easy and fast save/load system (apart from the ability to delete save slot's content). So it's decent enough for me.

• I'll try to do smth i do close to never - share my code.

Oh, yes! Thanks! :))

Player can either load from a slot 1,2,3 or start a new game in one of them.

Function call "startnewgame" does whatever you game does at normal start.

At normal start my game should have no save... and how do I do that?

Do I reset all values in the LocalStorage? Or do I create a new and empty slot?

You can do it without localstorage, but it will be a blind pick. I use local storage to save key progress variables (e.g.: playername, hp, money) like hp1, hp2, hp3. Load LS at game start to variables/dictionary/array and use it to text objects at corresponding save slots to mark them.

So I should save everything that must be saved, manually, in the LocalStorage??

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • a save slot is created when you first save. Save to slot "mysave1" creates slot mysave1.

I never bother with resetting local storage - just overwrite it when save a game state.

Everything is saved to quick save slot. I use LS only to save key values like player name. It is already saved in slot, LS stores those values again.

• Still can't understand how to do what I want. Just a lot of doubts yet. Don't know how to continue from where I am. Maybe because I've never used LocalStorage before, and that's just a blur in my mind.

But I'll do a proper tutorial on "How to Make a Save Slots System" when I figure this all out. Cause I've never been stuck for so much time in the same problem!

I still continue to thank the help of you all.

• My bigger doubt actually is:

If the player choose "Load Slot 1" in the initial screen, then slot1 is loaded, and the player continue from where he was... but if he come back to initial screen and select "New Game on Slot 1", what do I do?

I can't save the current state to slot one, cause I need to refresh it as new.

I could create an empty slot on the start of initial screen and if the player chooses "New Game" I could load this empty slot, BUT a slot is created when I save to it, and if I save the current game to this slot it wont be empty.

Such an essential thing to have actions like "Create new and empty slot" and "Clean slot" and "Delete slot". After all it is a game engine right, isn't that what games do?

And I'm amazed with this! I mean, look at this threads from 4 YEARS AGO:

https://www.construct.net/forum/construct-2/how-do-i-18/how-do-i-delete-save-game-data-94293

https://www.construct.net/forum/construct-2/general-discussion-17/is-there-a-way-to-clear-the-sa-88691

https://www.construct.net/forum/construct-2/general-discussion-17/clear-saved-data-request-84551

Besides others.

Construct 3 came, and here we are again!

:/

• "I can't save the current state to slot one, cause I need to refresh it as new."

You can just save and it will automatically overwrite existing data. I do it all the time.

Such an essential thing to have actions like "Create new and empty slot" and "Clean slot" and "Delete slot".

When you save game state it automatically creates a slot for this save. Clean and Delete is basically the same. Yes, it's missing. Overwrite it.

this threads from 4 YEARS AGO

I guess there is a reason for "delete slot" action to be missing. Anyways people use workarounds, like it or not. And release their games any platform imaginable.

• I created a suggestion on the suggestions page, please, in name of our future games, give some votes there:

https://construct3.ideas.aha.io/ideas/C3-I-576

• I've added +3 to this.

I suggest you create a new thread in general discussion with a link to the idea and this thread.

It will let more people see it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)