So What Is Your Second Impression of C3 And Will You Buy?

From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!

So much for banning his IP. The guy has a serious mental problem. I actually pity him.

As for on topic, I only bought C2 because of the event system, not because it was HTML5. I think the two go hand-in-hand though, so you want one, you get the other.

+1 for Event Sheets. I think that's the main reason I use C2. It's not because it's HTML5.

I'm not really that big of a fan of HTML5 games. It think it's nice that I can play games in a browser without having to download a plugin, but I mostly use C2 to publish mobile apps. It's the speed and ease of the event sheets that draws me to C2.

I have yet to meet a single person you bought a computer because they wanted to play HTML5 games. I can't imagine that ever happening. The first place people look to play games is consoles, then computers. Playing games natively, I imagine, will always be more preferred than having to download a browser and search for games that run well on it.

I don't think HTML5 is the future of gaming at all, it's just a future with games in it. I think this is the reality we live in. If you really want to invent for the future, you really need to think of the future of the internet without browsers. That's where we are heading.

Nah, man the browser wars are coming. Soon it will be either shiny and Chrome, or Edgey and Windows store.

Your os will be a browser/ store.

Also, I could care less about Hedy's comments.

Also, I could care less about Hedy's comments.

That reference is lost on me. Who is Hedy?

> Also, I could care less about Hedy's comments.

>

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Ah, Blazing Saddles... You both have a good memory.

Nah, man the browser wars are coming. Soon it will be either shiny and Chrome, or Edgey and Windows store.

Your os will be a browser/ store.

I'm thinking more that you'll be able to directly access the internet through the operating system, without the use of third party browsers. Always connected sort of thing. Browsers are the next Flash.

We can argue all we like about the tech and why it's this or that...

If the game you want to build for your target platform does not perform as it should on the client machine you are dead in the water. End of story.

The customer sure as hell doesn't care if it's HTML5, C++ or freakin Basic.

I won't deny that that's frustrating if you're wanting a solution for today, but I take a degree of comfort in knowing that the software is being built with tomorrow in mind as well.

The problem with this argument is that it applies to literally every piece of hardware and software ever made, but to earn that kind of trust, what's working today needs to be as feature-full as promised, and it hasn't been. Timelines are not built on potential future functionality in a commercial setting - there's no reason this long-proven way to do business should be applied any differently to Construct.

We can argue all we like about the tech and why it's this or that...

If the game you want to build for your target platform does not perform as it should on the client machine you are dead in the water. End of story.

The customer sure as hell doesn't care if it's HTML5, C++ or freakin Basic.

Well, let's talk about realistic expectations then. C2/C3 are HTML5 game editors and people should only reasonably expect that games made with it work really well in browsers. That's what it's made for.

People have unrealistic expectations that games made in HTML5 will work flawlessly on other platforms, in part and understandably because that's a promise Scirra makes on their homepage. "Publish Everywhere" is misleading at best and doesn't explain users will need to use third party wrappers. Exporting to other platforms has never been easy with C2, in my experience, and it's still promised with C3.

Ashley has said they plan to build their own wrappers for one of the platforms, maybe all. If they do it well, what does it matter how it gets on a certain platform as long as it works well. Promise kept. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

The problem with this argument is that it applies to literally every piece of hardware and software ever made, but to earn that kind of trust, what's working today needs to be as feature-full as promised, and it hasn't been. Timelines are not built on potential future functionality in a commercial setting - there's no reason this long-proven way to do business should be applied any differently to Construct.

That's another good point.

> Also, I could care less about Hedy's comments.

>

Moot.. come on man. You asked who someone is when you have the entire internet at the tip of your fingers? One search and you would've found your answer

Moot Yeah and to be frank the last thing I care about currently is making Browser games.

Does that then mean that I'm not Construct's target audience?

Looking at the Newgrounds competition and Ashleys comments in this thread it does seem that Construct is more of a "fill the void Flash left" and "one day all games will be played in a browser" movement rather than to be a game engine for the desktop / native phones etc.

That might all be correct "someday".

Anyway I'm still here looking at where it's going but I'm not going to lie, I'm also very keenly checking out Fusion 3 that seemed to have fixed most issues people had with mmf2 and fusion 2.5. I.e it's a complete re-write.

I really love Construct, the quickness of getting something up and running, the cool behaviors, the excellent event system but I need to look at where I eventually want to publish too and if the games I make is in the scope of Construct.

I appreciate all the benefits Chrome / html5 / Webgl brings too but it doesn't help we champion a technology and also rent the privilege to do so.

I guess color me cautiously optimistic at this point in time.

....thinking about this some more and to try sound less cynical about the performance issues.

The opposite is obviously also true.

If there are major breakthroughs from Chrome et al (Khronos group) with HTML5 and WebGL2, etc then we reap the benefits.

When is the third impression thread coming up lamar ?

When is the third impression thread coming up lamar ?

Haha whenever he makes another spam account and before he gets banned yet again.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)