0 Favourites

Tearing/Jerky Performance in R156

  • I updated to R-156 after reading about improved performance features (which I am always the very most excited about...) but to my dismay, I actually lost performance in my game after the update.

    I was running at a smooth *even buttery* 60 fps with my project, but after the update to r156 I noticed often frequent tearing and herky-jerky stops in the middle of the action, as if the engine were over working itself trying to load new items into the layout...

    I figured this may be whenever a new object is created with or without the turret behavior and the game suddenly jerks and sputters before going into smooth mode again.

    This wouldn't be so bad but I accidentally saved my project in R156 so now I can't revert back to the buttery smooth experience I was having before in r155. :(

    This was almost enough to make me quit until a new update comes out...I was so disappointed...I hope it reverts back to a buttery smooth performance instead of this herky-jerky, stop and go type performance. Now my game seems half as cool as it used to before the update... :(.

  • Construct 3

    Buy Construct 3

    Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

    Buy Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Are you talking about a mobile device ? Or on computer ?

    Are you graphic card drivers up to date ?

    It might be worth filling up a bug report rather than just complaining in the open topic.

    It's a good practice to make new saves (not just save the old file in the new version) when updating. I guess you'll remember it in the future.

    There is a way to revert back your project though, as explained in that tutorial.

  • I respectfully apologize for the misplacement of my topic... I just thought since I didn't have a simple 'capx' to show, I didn't know where else to put it...but thanks for the ability to revert back to an older release version...

    It was a strange circumstance that led me to saving over my current project...I just found my fingers pressing the Ctrl+S Buttons quite accidentally, and the project began to save.. In my panic, I contemplated pulling the power cord on my computer, but I didn't think that would be a good idea either...so I just hoped there would arise a solution down the road, so thanks for helping me out...

    And to answer the other questions: It was on desktop which I was testing my project on...Graphics drivers are fully up to date.

    And thank you for the response :D

  • You can open projects you saved in new versions using old versions, just save it as a project (not as a .capx), open the .caproj file and edit this line:


    Of course, in your game it must be 15600 or something.

  • Same stuttering issue noted here, especially in Node WebKit and Firefox. I had a 2048x2048 image in it which, when removed, fixed the problem. I'll try and put together a small example for the bugs if no one beats me to it.

  • Our changelogs are usually comprehensive and there's nothing that changed in r156 that I can imagine having any kind of performance difference of the kind that you describe. The whole build was basically a series of minor tweaks. Which browsers, devices or exports have you tested precisely, and is it the same across all of them?

  • I've been unable to recreate it - I probably wasn't testing thoroughly enough on different platforms / export options so my example could well just be an example of poor memory management on my part.

  • I can only speak for my experience which is based on the Chrome browser using a windows 7 64-Bit PC. I was running it in preview mode.

  • Are there any circumstances when the new collision cells can decrease performance??

  • Collision cells didn't change in r156. Did you try in Internet Explorer and Firefox?

  • I think I know what it could possibly be!!...

    When an object has been given the turret behavior, and the turret behavior has been set to check for a larger range, it then introduces the stuttering/jerky behavior as described before.

    This may be a major source of the problem. Maybe it is checking such a wide range of cells that the performance begins to stutter and have that shaky appearance...I can send you a .capx if you like.

    **Actually, on second thought, it may have more to do with creating lots of new objects very quickly, all I know is the performance is noticeably different in this newest version...even though I'm not really sure what's causing it...:/.

    Thanks for assisting with this in any case!!! :D

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)
Similar Topics Posts Views Last Post
Unread hot topic
331 35,573
Lordshiva1948's avatar
Unread hot topic
157 12,693
megatronx's avatar
Unread hot topic Locked topic
112 7,122
Ashley's avatar
Ashley Construct Team Founder