Ads monetisation object in the near future?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • BluePhaze It's hard to admit in public lol, but its one of my favorites shows as well!

stefanos I think the thing that you and others are missing is where the issues lie. I've made games for people that use CcJS and put ads on. I personally have never done that, mobile isn't my focus. So I don't understand what the problem is. CcJS has slow update cycle and isn't perfect, but people who think they can make a game without taking into consideration performance of the platform and tools are the real issue. You have to be creative sometimes in how you make your game to meet a device with limited processing power. Its also an issue of who is supporting what features, like what browsers support what, what wrappers are supporting etc. Ya know, if CcJS sucks for you, maybe your doing something wrong or maybe it is a problem with Ccjs (likely IMO)...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The problem is that Scirra doesn't actually support Android or iOS even though they claim to. Crosswalk supports Android and tries to fix Android issues, Scirra does not. C2 just allows to output to a format Crosswalk can compile into an apk. That's not really mobile support. Support implies that if I have a problem or bug Scirra will try to fix it, whereas instead what will happen is that we'll have to wait for the Crosswalk team to respond to support requests. I'm not saying this is a bad thing because the Crosswalk team does a good job, but the problem is that C2 is not the Crosswalk's team main priority. As it stands really C2 doesn't even really support HTML5 since they aren't implementing it themselves, just using others' implementations like Chrome and Firefox over which Scirra has no control, and in the case of changes (e.g. recent Chrome change to drop XP support) users may in some cases be out of luck. The fact that the Chrome team, which makes decisions best for browsers and not necessarily best for gaming, can affect how my game plays on a 'standalone' desktop application is not what I expected based on the C2 product description.

• "As it stands really C2 doesn't even really support HTML5 since they aren't implementing it themselves, just using others' implementations like Chrome and Firefox over which Scirra has no control, and in the case of changes (e.g. recent Chrome change to drop XP support) users may in some cases be out of luck. The fact that the Chrome team, which makes decisions best for browsers and not necessarily best for gaming, can affect how my game plays on a 'standalone' desktop application is not what I expected based on the C2 product description."

Just to correct it: C2 does HTML5 at the end, the problem is mostly do browsers actually respect HTML5

Same goes for crosswalk and node webkit, scirra does the HTML5 themselves, the problems are the interpreters, and that is a pretty big issue IMO.

Juryiel

Also the chrome issue wasn't best for browsers, not only in gaming, but also in some HTML5 standard like video reading it is a problem.

But I agree that sometimes I find the product description a little weird, and would prefer also a more reliable way to read that HTML5 across platforms.

• Right, I meant that although C2 outputs things that will work with implementations of HTML5, it doesn't have its own implementation of the HTML5 spec like a browser might. It depends on the implementations of others to be correct. This is definitely the way to go since entities with more resources are working on HTML5 implementations, but I often find that the complaints of others and my own complaints come from the fact that C2 bills itself as supporting standalone apps. If my game doesn't work in a Chrome window I will direct my complaint to both Chrome and Scirra, since either one could be responsible, and if Scirra says "Hey, we're doing it correct on our end, but Chrome is not" I will be satisfied with Scirra. On the other hand, if my game doesn't work as a standalone app, then clearly Scirra is responsible because their page told me they support those things, unless Scirra makes it exceedingly clear that they don't actually support those platforms themselves and, more importantly, that they themselves often will not be able to fix bugs or issues and will have to depend on someone else's HTML5 implementation..

And the specific example I gave was just to show how game developers and therefore Scirra have different goals in important features than browser developers. In standalone apps, game dvelopers expect the priorities to be the needs of games, and may clash with priorities of browser developers.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)