Ads monetisation object in the near future?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • And then the C2 developers have to make sure they know everything about every 3rd party wrapper so that their ads would still work in it. It's not that simple. I would love a cross platform ad object, but it is not very realistic since all the 3rd party wrappers can and do change on a regular basis. The reason the 3rd parties are responsible for their own plugins is that they know their API's better than anyone. Assuming that the C2 fellas have full knowledge of how everything in each wrapper works is not realistic. CocoonJS has very tight control on what communications happen from the wrapper to external sources, other platforms have their own requirements.

That is kind of like saying a car manufacturer like ford should be responsible for making sure your car can drive off of cliffs or over fields of razorblades or in the ocean. If they took the time to do all that, the cars would never get made. The whole point of allowing for an open plugin system is that those who know the most about certain platforms or technologies are free to make plugins for them. Instead of relying on those who may not know as much about a specific platform to make plugins that have to always support it in all circumstances.

• If you want a car analogy, having a functional monetization option such as Ads is as vital as having a functional break.. without it, the car is just not whole.

A game engine made to cater for cross-platform development with a focus on mobiles should therefore, focus to have support for such basics as Ads.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I also agree about Ads should be a built-in function, not as plugin.

Because when we use Ads extension from CocoonJS we can't control Ads placement for each layout specifically, using CocoonJS Ads will be showed from begin to end using same type of ads and same placement and that will give bad experience to players and lower revenue for developers.

If we can control Ads placement at each layout we can provide better user experience such as we can place full page Ads before game start and game exit, banner ads for menu/level selection and in-game layout without ads so player can playing game without distubed by ads and with this ads placement setting also will improve developers income from Ads.

• I totally agree, ads are our bread and butter...without them, we're sunk! -

• This right here is what I have been wondering for awhile now... I'm on the verge of having to come back in a few months to see if the ads thing is already implemented... so far I feel cheated of my license money because I was in the impression that the monetization was there - since the free version didn't include it, at least per the sales page in store.

I guess I have to tinker with Unity for the time being and see if I can make some of my ideas true there (including monetization)...

And by the way... the canvas scaling thing should also be a priority, I can't tell enough how retarded it is that you develop and test on your pc with the reso settings set for the phone screen width... and then when you test it on the phone (with cocoonjslauncher) the window size doesn't stick but shows too much...

Also the performance is very poor, literally is more than 7 sprites on screen... laaaaag! WTF? And the sounds were just screwed up... enough for now...

• It would be duplication of work that already exists in the many existing plugins and wrappers?

I'm sorry, but you've lost me here. You're saying, look, there's great features that really could/should be in C2, but let's not put them in because there's non-C2 plug-ins; but if an updated C2 breaks the plug-in/game, then that's just too bad.

This thinking just seems a bit like parroting an official line in the absence of sanity.

• The main point is that even the third party plugins haven't gotten this working perfectly yet and they have dedicated teams working on them. If the folks at scirra were to work on this, they would have to basically redo all the work done so far in the third party plugins and then improve upon them to make them even better and more integrated than the companies who wrote the third party plugins. With only a 1 man team working on the C2 tool itself (Ashley does all the work on C2, Tom handles the web site), this would be a pretty huge task. They would also have to keep up with all the changes that each of the platforms makes in order to make sure their functionality always works. They would also have to figure out how to make it work in spite of the third party wrappers that are used to package the games for the various mobile platforms. Basically figure out hot to get it to work with cocoonjs, Ejecta, Crosswalk, XDK, phonegap, etc... if it is truly going to support everyone using C2. It just seems very unrealistic for one person to do. Personally, I think a team of people funded by a kickstarter, or some other method would have a better chance of creating a universal Advertising object. And then maintain it as well. Regardless of who anyone feels "should" do the work, reality doesn't always follow that logic.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it, I was amazed they got even a basic IAP object implemented. Though I still have yet to hear if anyone has had success with it across all the marketplaces and/or with all the various wrappers.

• Hopefully with their desire to stick with Intel XDK/Crosswalk, they will make dedicated monetization plugins for this export platform at least. Then we can say, Android via C2 is perfect.

• This right here is what I have been wondering for awhile now... I'm on the verge of having to come back in a few months to see if the ads thing is already implemented... so far I feel cheated of my license money because I was in the impression that the monetization was there - since the free version didn't include it, at least per the sales page in store.

I guess I have to tinker with Unity for the time being and see if I can make some of my ideas true there (including monetization)...

And by the way... the canvas scaling thing should also be a priority, I can't tell enough how retarded it is that you develop and test on your pc with the reso settings set for the phone screen width... and then when you test it on the phone (with cocoonjslauncher) the window size doesn't stick but shows too much...

Also the performance is very poor, literally is more than 7 sprites on screen... laaaaag! WTF? And the sounds were just screwed up... enough for now...

There is no issue with canvas scaling. There are mainly three aspect ratios you should support 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10. You can totally make your game look how it should on all ratios with scale outer(I believe)... if you plan ahead on which ratios you wish to support. There are somethings that just can't be handed to you... often because it would limit more advanced uses. There are limits and complicated features to every engine or tool requires you to work around and further explore to utilize properly. many people use ads and ccjs just fine, so its not like it is impossible. The C2 licence is the best bang for your buck, period.

• Kcpunk666 Everytime I see you post all I can look at is your Avatar's hand... it freaks me out a bit...

• BluePhaze Yea, it's a funky looking hand. It's Willow from "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" graphic novel.

• BluePhaze: I'd agree that ads probably aren't the best feature for the staff to spend time on to incorporate into C2. It's just the suggestion that anything which is in a 3rd party plugin shouldn't be worked on because it'd be a 'duplication' doesn't make sense, particularly when you also wrote that if an update frags a plugin, it's too bad.

Plugins of value should always be potentially utilised as source material for C2 (Note the word potentially). If something would be useful in C2 proper, than why not; if it doesn't require too much work. Why make jobs harder than they need to be.

• Kcpunk666 Never read the graphic novel but I will admit that Buffy is one of my all time favorite shows... ok... so maybe just maybe I have the Boxed set of all seasons...

• Scirra focusing on multiplayer is good for their engine and their competitors, but ads, share function and mobile performance isn't there yet, I have 2 nearly finished games that i can't do a serious publish without those things, Performance with cocoonjs is much much better (10 physics objects max on screen) than crosswalk witch is the selected export option right now by scirra and sound is realy bad. So i don't know what to do.. change engine ? and start everything from start ? or wait for some update ? I was really happy when scirra announced asm.js and performance updates some months earlier..

I think that it's better to make existing things PERFECT and add multiplayer and everything else later.. you can feel this in the forums

• Scirra focusing on multiplayer is good for their engine and their competitors, but ads, share function and mobile performance isn't there yet, I have 2 nearly finished games that i can't do a serious publish without those things, Performance with cocoonjs is much much better (10 physics objects max on screen) than crosswalk witch is the selected export option right now by scirra and sound is realy bad. So i don't know what to do.. change engine ? and start everything from start ? or wait for some update ? I was really happy when scirra announced asm.js and performance updates some months earlier..

I think that it's better to make existing things PERFECT and add multiplayer and everything else later.. you can feel this in the forums

Yeah I absolutely agree. I would much rather get the current features, which represent a fairly complete feature-set for mostly any game you may want, to be perfected and reliable across platforms. I'm essentially in the same boat.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)