This release marks another milestone: now the C3 runtime is the default for new projects! The new runtime is now reliable enough to run every example project that comes with Construct, including the entire demo games, with no noticable differences. We feel this means it's now robust enough to make the default. While there may still be some further issues, we think these should mostly get worked out by the next stable release, and it means new projects can get all the benefits of the new runtime by default.
To be clear, this is what now defaults to the C3 runtime:
• New projects
• All built-in example projects
The following will continue using the C2 runtime unless you change the project Runtime property:
• Existing Construct 3 projects still using the C2 runtime
• Any imported Construct 2 projects
In other words, new projects use the C3 runtime automatically, but existing projects must still manually opt-in by changing the Runtime property in Project Properties. We'd encourage you to do this, especially since almost all new features are now only for the C3 runtime. You can always switch back to the C2 runtime if anything doesn't work like you expect.
In addition to that we have a few more new features:
• A new Tile movement behavior, which provides an easy way to make a grid-based movement - ideal for tilemap-based games
• A new 'Fade volume' action for the Audio object, which makes it easy to fade in and fade out music and sounds over time
• A new Screen recording option in the Game Recorder object - normally Game Recorder only records the canvas, but this option allows for recording the entire browser tab (including form controls or other elements that "float" over the canvas), a different application, or the entire screen. The options depends on browser support; currently Firefox supports screen recording, and an upcoming version of Chrome will allow you to choose what you want to record.
Finally as ever there's a batch of fixes and changes to ensure everything works smoothly. In particular if you had trouble downloading files in Safari 12, this should now be fixed. Stay tuned for more updates - we still have some more new features in the works!