Unity gets 'visual scripting' (3rd party)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Helping streamers give their viewers more excitement.
  • Edit: this is actually a 3rd party addon!

'Playmaker' just got released for Unity, a way of visually scripting an application. Have a look:

http://u3d.as/content/hutong-games-llc/playmaker/1Az

It appears to be a fairly simple flowchart - I don't think it does anything like instance picking, and I'm always skeptical of tools that try to let you code in 2D, placing stuff in a large area (doesn't it get messy?). So I wouldn't call it a competitor just yet, but it's still interesting.

• Hm, this feature that is critical for beginners is only available as a paid asset. I'm not too keen on spending money to try something out.

• I haven't actually tried it out either, there's a few screenshots in the documentation though. Was just pointing it out really.

• Hm, this feature that is critical for beginners is only available as a paid asset. I'm not too keen on spending money to try something out.

I am not knocking the program but the four demo video's just color and move boxes. That is not very inspiring. Construct 2 at least gave you Gohst Hunter wish is amazing at its early state.

This program looks like it will compete with Blender (which has a rich python scripting language. Since Blender is free, has much better video demo's, user base, and tutorials. I think Playmaker may have an uphill battle a head especially with Mipey comment about pay to even try.

• Well its not very linear, but editing everything from one screen does seem appealing.

• Not trying to argue here but you are wrong as far as i know. This is a user made addon and not a "Unity release" it has been released for a while also and was a free beta before and i honestly don't think they would be trying to be a competitor plus it uses a node based system.

This would allow 3d as well as 2d also, maybe C2 will do that later though?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Oh good point, it's third party, missed that. Edited the OP

• Looks kind of interesting, but I'd much prefer a code-based system like Construct than a node-based system. I've done a bit of node-based materials editing in Maya and it gets a bit messy, I shudder to think of trying to do really complex code this way.

If someone ever made an Construct ACE type editor for Unity then that would be something to get truly excited about.

• If someone ever made an Construct ACE type editor for Unity then that would be something to get truly excited about.

So what you are saying is that Construct could be competitor for the Unity addon?

The circle (for this thread) is complete Obi-Wan

• So what you are saying is that Construct could be competitor for the Unity addon?

No, that's not really what I'm saying.

• Yeah, he's been working on that addon for months.

I've been watching it's progress for a while, and while some of it looks like it could be useful, a lot of it isn't needed.

The funniest thing for me was the price. lol

I'm sure some people will find it useful, and as I said in another thread, whatever it takes to get the end result, but it's certainly not worth the price asked.

Krush.

• *Sigh* It was a joke.

But if some one did make your suggested ACE type editor for Unity it would be.

• How much is it? I can't seem to find a price online (don't have Unity installed).

• For Playmaker it is 3rd party pricing however, they are charging based on how much they think is fair for the time they put into it rather than a thought out price for a game maker.

You can't really compare the 2 though anyway in my opinion, they are not really the same as this is like a optional helper tool. Basically some of the plugins for Unity are almost like game makers or design programs themselves as they are so advanced.

This is not the only thing like that either there is other addons that make things simple with less coding like Vizio and Strumpy Shader Editor. Then a load of tools to edit scenes/maps etc simply, and there is now new addons released all the time.

I know i might get negative feedback for this comment but in my opinion Unity is on another level compared to Construct. Maybe a few years down the line Construct 2 might be able to match it though when it is more complete and professional, right now it only allows 2D though but Unity allows 3D also and soon flash exporting and then probably other formats in the future.

• I know i might get negative feedback for this comment but in my opinion Unity is on another level compared to Construct.

Which is why I posed earlier that is has more competition with Blender.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)