taking it too personally

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
  • Every business should be able to take some criticism within context and as long as its not abusive.

You want to keep most of your customers happy. So you should take on board criticism and suggestions.

My issue has been with Game MAker forums. Im pretty fan of GM but recently its like every topic i make gets closed with some almost rude and ott replies from mods.

They seem to decide for me what im trying to say in my threads, and usually take it the wrong way/meaning.

My last thread was asking them what they were comapring the cost of professional version to. As they say its very cheap. So i pointed out there were numerous free developement tools (which most people know!) Then they accused me of complaining about the price and then closed the thread, Its a good justified question. If i sold cars and said this is the cheapest car available, i wouldnt mind telling people what others cars im comparing to. When supermarkets compare prices they tell you clearly theyre comparing to tesco or asda or netto etc..

These guys are way TOO controlling over whats said on forums, even when you back up your questions. come on guys, if you cant take criticism or youre going to stop people asking genuine question you might disagree with is not good.

• Link to the post! Maybe they don't like people advertising other game-making products on their site?

• I've never used GM products, but for the last years I've been part of Scirra's community, I've been hearing about this kind of behavior/moderation on their part, this seems like nothing new.

Also, I doubt they will read this thread and change because of it. ^^

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Link please, I would like to read this.

• I see the mod's point of view. It can be taken as baiting an argument.

A conversation about prices will anger most people. People who are cheap and don't want to pay full price will argue the price and cheaper alternatives, and people who are loyal to GM will defend the quality of the product and price. An experienced mod would see that coming a mile away.

You don't really need a response from YoYo Games to get the answer your looking for. If you want to compare prices of game engines, just do a quick search online.

Please note that some mods not employees of the company and might just be responsible community members who volunteered. If you really want a response from YoYo Games, you should contact them directly.

• I see the mod's point of view. It can be taken as baiting an argument.

A conversation about prices will anger most people. People who are cheap and don't want to pay full price will argue the price and cheaper alternatives, and people who are loyal to GM will defend the quality of the product and price. An experienced mod would see that coming a mile away.

[...]

Please note that some mods not employees of the company and might just be responsible community members who volunteered.

Well, moderators on Scirra's forums are only volunteers, and we've never closed any thread that could lead to a debate.

You can find numerous posts of people who will find C2 too pricy. And it never degenerates in sterile flame war.

Mostly because the "complaint" is invalid to start with when you compare to "the competition".

• Arguing over price if futile anyway. It is their choice and they have to make a living with it, so they need to sell it at that price. If they can, guess the price is fine. One might think the pricing is too high, and yes, they might be right, but it is no use to argue with their business decision. It is the difference between people wanting 1 dollar for their apps or 10 dollars. I know that the 1 dollar one will probably outsell the 10 dollar one by a hundredfold, if the apps are of not too different quality. Not to mention that a community driven app will gain advantages from a larger community. So in the end: yeah, it is smarter to sell for an affordable price in many cases of virtual goods (thats why F2P-games work, you bring many new customers in by deleting the entry barrier and then profit off the big community later on in some way), but everyone with a product has to decide how he wants to sell his product.

• sound more like a business blog post not a forum post

• rafhelp

This thread is nearly 2 years old. Why resurrect now?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)