questions about 360 controllers on pc

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A space themed game with high quality 2D graphics and addictive music that provide hours of fun
  • first off, do they work with directx games without special drivers?

or only with newer xinput games?

second, if I want to go wireless, do I need 4 wireless adaptors for 4 controllers?

or just one? (please only answer this second one if you know for sure)

• Wirelss ones won't work without hacking a bluetooth dongle... and by hacking I mean physically hacking it, not just loading software.

If you are running vista then the 360 controller drivers are already there and work well. If you are using XP then the drivers can be downloaded but they suck... so I recommend downloading XBCD Driver

*EDIT*

Apparantly there is a proper adapter available now for the wireless controller for your PC. I still don't know if you need one for each controller or not - http://digg.com/gaming_news/Xbox_360_Wi ... _available

~Sol

• From Wikipedia:

[quote:1bbybtp5]The device acts in a similar manner to an Xbox 360 as it allows up to 4 controllers and 4 headsets at a time to be connected to the receiver.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hacking... what?

I thought it's common knowledge how that stuff works.

Alright: You buy a wireless remote receiver for the PC (I think that one's like 20 bucks) and the you can connect any Xbox360 controller to it, even multiple controllers on one receiver.

As long as you have that small thingy connected to your PC USB port, you're all set for some sweet xbox love.

• Hacking... what?

I thought it's common knowledge how that stuff works.

Last time I attempted this was like 3 years ago when the 360 first came out, and there was no such thing as a dongle that you buy (which I only just discovered), so before then you had to hack a standard bluetooth dongle to get it to work... too much effort, which is why I went with a wired controller at the time.

~Sol

• Wow, that sucks. And now it's such a great solution... oh, btw, can you somehow connect PS3 Controllers to the PC without too much bullshit?

• Wow, that sucks. And now it's such a great solution... oh, btw, can you somehow connect PS3 Controllers to the PC without too much bullshit?

PS3 controllers as far as I'm aware are standard bluetooth. You should be able to connect them like any other bluetooth device.

• thanks everyone

still not clear on the regular directx game thing though

and thomas, the amount and nature of the bullshit involved with ps3 controllers varies depending on whether you've got 32 or 64 windows?

• > Wow, that sucks. And now it's such a great solution... oh, btw, can you somehow connect PS3 Controllers to the PC without too much bullshit?

>

PS3 controllers as far as I'm aware are standard bluetooth. You should be able to connect them like any other bluetooth device.

Yes I'm fairly certain this is the case.

~Sol

• Trine shipped for PC with XBOX controller support and no support for any other kind of gamepad.

Go Microsoft, fragmenting your own standards!

they say they didn't have many gamepads to test it on.... XD (that's bs, it was also released on XBox), they plan to add others (directInput hopefully probably) via a patch.

• What about Braid? Did Braid on the Pc work with any game controller or did you have to use an Xbox 360 controller if you want to play it with a controller?

In all honesty though, I think the X360 Controller is one of the best controllers out there (except for Beat em Ups, because the digipad is a piece of shit), so everyone should get one of em. You can use em for your PC and for your Xbox - quite awesome.

• In all honesty though, I think the X360 Controller is one of the best controllers out there (except for Beat em Ups, because the digipad is a piece of s**t), so everyone should get one of em. You can use em for your PC and for your Xbox - quite awesome.

Ill go right out and spend 40 - 70 dollars on a 360 controller/ wireless adapter when I have a perfectly good mouse and keyboard. </sarcasm>

• I'm a Logitech fan.

They're rather cheap and are pretty solid and light.

And they're supported for more than 2 years

• Yeah, I'm a logitech fan too, but knowing how good the 360 controllers were from using them the last 4 years, I was glad to finally get the PC dongle and 360 pad for my computer.

So using the 2 pads I have with my 360, I now have 3 pads connected to my PC through the one dongle, which is perfect for multiplayer MAME games.

Sponge

• Ill go right out and spend 40 - 70 dollars on a 360 controller/ wireless adapter when I have a perfectly good mouse and keyboard. </sarcasm>

And how does that make sense?

Like... if you have a fork, does that mean that you'll never buy a spoon?

If you're an avid gamer and use your PC for gaming, a controller can be a really cool thing. And in todays world, if you have one of the consoles, you can reuse your controller without a problem on your PC anyway.

sponge: See? The dongle is fucking awesome and the 360 controller is really worth it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)