Own your own Business!

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
  • I'm just curious; how many of you do this full time? As in, you dont have another job and are fully supported by something that you created and maintain via Construct.

If there are some of you out there, I have a ton of questions for you:

1. Do you create apps? Websites? Other?
    2. Do you have a team? Do you outsource anything?
    3. How did you go about creating an audience?
    4. Do you mostly focus on one thing or a portfolio of things?
    5. You dont need to give exact details, but your rough MRR? And, how many hours do you put in per week?
    6. What advice do you have for people that aspire to do what you do?

Thanks friends <3

Tagged:

• I've been using Construct for about 8 years, the last 3 of which I've been using it full-time. I'd love to say that I have a ton of published games that generate a passive income, but that's not the case.

I work predominately on corporate games - making games for companies to market their products. Any extra revenue is used to buy time to work on my own games.

Here are my answers in your format:

1: Games and apps, with the occasional website.

2: Yes. I work with a team of artists and other devs who provide the graphics/audio/etc., and backend support I need to integrate with corporate systems (customer loyalty, tracking, rewards).

3: I don't! That's the one really nice thing about doing corporate work - they already have the audience :)

4: It's a range of products. I'm usually juggling at least 3 at any one time.

5: I put in at least 40 hours a week. I'm not one for overworking myself anymore. Burnout is real!

6: Start small and never stop networking. Build a reputation while you're building your skills. Don't over-promise, but don't hesitate to challenge yourself.

My biggest piece of advice is to find other people who are good at the things you aren't good at. For example, I suck at business stuff, but I have some wonderful colleagues who are excellent in that field. Without them I don't think I'd be able to do this full-time.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • GeoffBAwesome! Thank you so much for sharing!

- Do they companies you work for ever ask what platform you develop on? Do they care that you are using Construct, which is smaller in comparison to something like Unity?

- When you work with other people, like artists, do you pay them or are they hired by the larger company?

- When developing apps for clients, do you force them to buy/make their own Apple/Android stores for hosting? (if they want them available to the public)

You da man!

• My pleasure! I think it's important to highlight different approaches to game development - we're not all in a position to be indies :D

1) They do ask about the dev platforms, but it's usually just for their own frame of reference. I have had to convince clients to accept that I'm not a "traditional" dev, but all it takes is showing them what I've built in Construct (and how quickly) to convince them that it's a viable platform. Most of my clients want browser-based and/or mobile-friendly, so Construct is perfect.

2) I work with a software dev company that handles most of the personnel management, but I do occasionally hire directly for personal projects.

3) This depends on the product. For the most part I work within their framework, be that an app or website. Some clients don't want to get involved in the "publishing" side of things; in that case I recommend a web-based release and handle the hosting on their behalf.

• Thanks GeoffB! This information is very very helpful to me.

Thanks a bunch and best of luck to you in the future!

• Why do so many individuals believe that in order to achieve in business, you must suffer? It's as if starting a business is a type of purgatory. Not that it's as simple as 1-2-3, but geez. I'm curious how many people are deterred from beginning a business as a result of this type of information.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)