​Nintendo Announced a New 3DS

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Create your game with this complete pack of images and animations!
  • This happened moments ago during a Nintendo Direct.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-just-announced-a-new-3ds-1628389333

Furthermore, the main reason why I bring this up is because Nintendo spoke about HTML5 support for this updated version of 3DS!

• What with the current Wii U support going well, the added HTML5 support for New 3DS consoles might be something to ask Nintendo about. Ashley, will you look into this?

• I have to admit, I mostly am a PC player, but the 3DS is one of the console that really has been tempting me for a while, and if indeed, the Wii U support from Nintendo could somehow "transfer" to the 3DS as well, that will be one more great reason for me to look into it and get one.

Nevertheless I see no mention of HTML5 support in the article you quoted. Are you sure Nintendo announced such support for this new handheld ?

And also, not a console available in the rest of the world before/hopefully at least 2015.

Might be something to keep and eye on.

• Nevertheless I see no mention of HTML5 support in the article you quoted. Are you sure Nintendo announced such support for this new handheld ?

I heard them say it in the Nintendo Direct Stream. I guess some sites didn't think it was a big deal enough to report on.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-29-nintendo-announces-new-3ds-and-3ds-xl-designs-with-extra-buttons

Eurogamer seems to mention it though.

• Indeed.

[quote:2yyaqxub]The handheld's internet browser will also now support HTML5.

Thanks for the link.

Edit:

Seen in the comments (so possibly to take with a grain of salt):

[quote:2yyaqxub]-The browser can handle HTML5 and watching movies within it, but perhaps due to that problem they had last year with the child getting exploited through the 3DS (of course no mention was made of this) a new filtering function was added so that children can browse without fear from their parents. This is enabled from the beginning, but so that children can't easily get rid of it, turning it off requires using a credit card and one-time fee of 30 yen.

It kind of reminds me the Wii's option to access internet that had to be paid for to unlock on the console itself.

As to what exacting is being filtered or the impact of that feature, that's not very clear.

• Great news everyone,

The New 3DS is out and people and HTML5 test results astounding.

It seems that The New 3DS has gotten a score of 359 (out of 555 points) on html5test.com

This is even better than that of Wii U which is 309.

And not only that, but this score even surpasses Xbox One (312) and Playstation 4 (354) scores.

Sources:

New 3DS test score http://html5test.com/s/5f40f2231aef7641.html

Other Gaming Consoles https://html5test.com/results/other.html

Who knows what the future holds for The New 3DS and HTML5 gaming but let's hope it's a bright future..

• [quote:21svkqnb]Web Audio API

No ?

Speech Recognition

No ?

Speech Synthesis

No ?

The following tests go beyond the requirements of the HTML5 specification and are not counted towards the total score.

PCM audio support

No ?

AAC support

No ?

MP3 support

No ?

Ogg Vorbis support

No ?

Ogg Opus support

No ?

WebM with Vorbis support

No ?

WebM with Opus support

No ?

Canvas 2D graphics

Yes ?

Drawing primitives

Text support

Yes ?

Path support

No ?

Ellipse support

No ?

Dashed line support

No ?

Features

Hit testing support

No ?

Blending modes

No ?

Image export formats

PNG support

Yes ?

JPEG support

Yes ?

JPEG-XR support

No ?

WebP support

No ?

3D Graphics

0/25

WebGL 3D graphics

No ?

WebGL 2 3D graphics

No ?

Peer To Peer

0/15

WebRTC

No ?

Data channel

No ?

Key-value storage

Session Storage

Yes ?

Local Storage

Yes ?

Database storage

IndexedDB

No ?

Objectstore Blob support

No ?

Objectstore ArrayBuffer support

No ?

Workers

Web Workers

No ?

Shared Workers

No ?

Not impressed, ( I wonder which audio format is supported actually), but it seems pretty low, and some of those are really important to C2 (web workers are used for the in parralel pathfinding calculations, indexedDB helps for the Save and Load actions, even though the webstorage will be used in that case, WebRTC not here so the multiplayer plugin is out, no blend modes (or so I think that means that, which would be a real turn off if it is indeed that), no Web audio API, so for advanced audio, we are not there yet, and No WebGL, if that is indeed the case, this would simply mean no effect and potentially a mega slow rendering, no webGL for most people actually means "not worth it").

So I would say the future is not that bright, as my tablet actually surpasses it (will check on my phone)

If someone could pass it into the scirramark, that would be interesting.

• Many of these issues are inherent to most consoles, really.

And yes, I do agree that WebGL support is something that we as developers should continue to be very vocal about for future support purposes.

However, if it were to be even possible to release a HTML5 game created with Construct 2 for The New 3DS in the near future it could be a potential gold mine since it is an additional market and (not a saturated one at that like iOS and Google Play).

For example, Just take a look at the success of HTML5 games on the Wii U and you will understand the significance of console support.

It's always a good thing to strive for console support as it opens up new possibilities to us as developers..

• Many of these issues are inherent to most consoles, really.

And yes, I do agree that WebGL support is something that we as developers should continue to be very vocal about for future support purposes.

However, if it were to be even possible to release a HTML5 game created with Construct 2 for The New 3DS in the near future it could be a potential gold mine since it is an additional market and (not a saturated one at that like iOS and Google Play).

For example, Just take a look at the success of HTML5 games on the Wii U and you will understand the significance of console support.

It's always a good thing to strive for console support as it opens up new possibilities to us as developers..

Being better at browser support than the other consoles does not mean being good at it, which is the problem, that however is relevant to the browser itself and not an hardware limitation, which is why I criticize it, as it could be better, which would also help making better games for it.

As for success for indie, it is not what I criticize, some people do games for the iphone 4 so relatively speaking yes, you can make a successful game with the 3DS and C2 I would think, and this would ba a support that will not be as filled with junk as android and iOS as, unless you stick with html5, you will need nintendo's approval.

I am talking about the techs itself, the score is not that great (it is actually comparable to my low end phone with firefox), so it is not a great result feature wise, and I hope publishers will not do something as stupid as "now we will also require 3ds support as well as iphone4 and stock android browser #moni", I would say workable and potential money making machine but not there yet for great content sadly.

Also quid of the audio support.

• Listen, I'm all for the everlasting increase in technology but working with hardware limitations is not always a bad thing either.

In this case, as I said before, it could open up a new world of opportunities and I am having a bit of trouble understanding why this is a bad thing at all, despite the limitations..

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I am not saying it is bad, I was saying it could be better, relative to the console universe however, it is a good news, I fully agree.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)