Use MODO for 2D animation?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Carousel Animation, make carousel of you image gallery or anything
  • Is it possible to use MODO for 2D animation and then import into Construct?

I use MODO Indie and Construct 2 personal.

• MODO is like any other 3D modeling/animation/etc soft, you can export images from it and import as a sprite frames in C2.

• That sounds great. Now I only need to figure out how I can make 2D animations in MODO.

I did some Google and YouTube searching, but I havent found any revelant info yet.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There are two basic methods to create 2d animations in any 3d application:

• model regular 3d characters or objects, texture, and add rigging to animate. Then animate, make sure things loop (if required), and render each frame in a sequence of files. The final result can be more realistic looking, or by utilizing a non-photo realistic style, can look like a 2d drawn result.
    • draw your characters in an illustration package (such as InkScape, Illustrator, Flash), segment the characters into animate-able parts, and import each part as an image projected (uv mapped with a texture) on a flat 3d plane. Then rig the parts together for an animateable character (or object), and animate. Render each frame in a sequence of files.

The first method is more time-consuming, because you will need to model, texture, and rig a full 3d character. But if you require lots of turn-arounds, and full flexibility, this may not be possible/feasible with the second workflow. There are thousands of tutorials that demonstrate the concepts of building 3d textured animate-able characters and objects out there. For Modo, no so many, unfortunately.

The second method is very doable, and a lot of fun. Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=VvbhfLBIjHI

There is a nice thread on BlenderArtists, and you can even download a fully rigged 2d character for Blender that you can examine, and use as an example for Modo.

http://www.glennmelenhorst.com/misc/ble ... _028.blend

If you need more assistance with this, I recommend posting a question on the Modo forums: that community is very helpful.

Also, if 2d flat characters are your goal, spend some time investigating Spriter: it will bring in fully animated characters with a rig right into Construct2. Rather similar to the second option I mentioned, but in this case the rig is retained in Construct, resulting in much smaller file sizes.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)