GOLD!!!!! well sort off...but is ChatGPT

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
amazing template of the game of ordering colors with strings made with construct3 (requires c3 license) optimized with j
  • So we all been looking around internet lately and heard and read about ChatGPT right? but did you knew? that you can ask him to give you "construct code" snippets ?

i did a test today. it knows everything about construct plugins, behaviors etc basically the entire manual and what construct is made off... and that made me think... can chatGPT generate construct usable event sheet code snippets? and to my surprise... it did.. somewhat not what i expected but definetly blew my mind... so my test consisted of this

and then ChatGPT answered with this

======================================

Sure! Here's an example of how you can create a cue stick that follows the cue ball in a circular pattern around the cue ball using Construct 2:

Create two sprite objects in your Construct 2 project: "CueBall" and "CueStick". Set the origin point of the "CueStick" sprite to the center of the sprite to make rotation easier.

Place the "CueBall" sprite on the game layout where you want the cue ball to be positioned.

In the event sheet associated with the "CueStick" sprite, add the following events:

Event 1: Every tick

Add an action to set the position of the "CueStick" sprite to the position of the "CueBall" sprite.

Event 2: Every tick

Add an action to set the angle of the "CueStick" sprite to the angle between the "CueBall" sprite and the "CueStick" sprite.

Use the following expression to calculate the angle:

angle(cueBall.X, cueBall.Y, cueStick.X, cueStick.Y)

Event 3: Every tick

Add an action to set the position of the "CueStick" sprite relative to the "CueBall" sprite in a circular pattern.

Use the following expressions to calculate the position:

scss

Copy code

Note: "radius" is the distance between the cue ball and the cue stick, and "angle" is the current angle between the cue ball and the cue stick.

Adjust the value of "radius" to control how far the cue stick should be from the cue ball, and test the project. The "CueStick" sprite should now follow the cue ball in a circular pattern around the cue ball.

Note: The above example assumes that the "angle" variable is in degrees. If you prefer to work with radians, you can use the "radians(angle)" expression instead of "degreesToRadians(angle)" in the calculations.

Please note that Construct 2 uses a visual programming system, so you can implement the above logic using the available actions, conditions, and expressions in the event sheet, without writing actual code.

===============

initially i tought it will give me some behavior pin to etc type of thing... but this is more usefull than i tought... i wonder now can it do more complex algo and js compatible things? i mean... logically should right?

what you guys think about this?

i posted in Open discussion cause i don't know if this is a tool or general discussion or what... but i find it pretty neat that, when we having problems in Construct programming we can ask the community for help but that takes time a lot of it usually... this method would basically solve "small" requests in a instant. or atleast put us on the right path.

================

after i added the mouse plugin so i use the mouse as a direction variable... and tweaked the code generated by chatgpt and the origin point of the questick to match my new element, this is the result the blue line follows my mouse at a 100px distance from abll in a perfect circle around the centered cueball ( redball ) .. if find this amazing, especially for new beginners that need their code to be fixed or maybe ask the ai to generate some better code

================

Tagged:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Guess it’s better than nothing. My main complaint is its solution didn’t give something working. You had to modify it a lot.

At least the formula was probably useful. It basically is a way to move by an angle and it is one of the main uses of trigonometry for games. But then again construct has the move at angle action which could be used instead of the math.

The problem I see with more complex problems is having to see if the solution is correct. If you have to modify it heavily like removing the angleToRadians expression and such then it’s not helpful.

But I can see the value of it giving some ideas of where to maybe start.

• Guess it’s better than nothing. My main complaint is its solution didn’t give something working. You had to modify it a lot.

At least the formula was probably useful. It basically is a way to move by an angle and it is one of the main uses of trigonometry for games. But then again construct has the move at angle action which could be used instead of the math.

The problem I see with more complex problems is having to see if the solution is correct. If you have to modify it heavily like removing the angleToRadians expression and such then it’s not helpful.

But I can see the value of it giving some ideas of where to maybe start.

yes, thats the whole thing, i think the confusion of the code... is based on how well u ask it things, for example i asked to give me a code to loop create a flower pattern using sprites and it works just copy paste. as long as u follow its steps. however in my 1st cueball test cuestick.. i noticed it mixed some Construct3 parametters in construct2 which is what i tested it on. so im guessing C3 being latest version and more documented might actually a better fit for asking things for it. but i remember early days of me trying to learn and find information in construct forum... dont get me wrong is a great community and source of information, but is so much time consuming to just get a reply while meanwhile, in my case 5 years ago i was sitting idle hopping someone would reply to my question. this thing puts u on a "road" even if slightly wrong, it gives u a direction fast enough so u dont sit idle on the project ur working. to me honestly i wish i had this when i started using Construct 5-6 years ago.

i did the creation tests and also a Q3D master collection test code review and it actually works... even though it does say wrongly or in lack of information i guess "use the worldXY" the worldXY inQ3D is not defined is just regular XY... we do have a xw but is not implemented or is for something else.

and yes i did modify it a lot cause my question was wrong... i asked for the cuestick to set its position around cueball... i didnt ask it specifically to use the mouse position as a reference so it didnt knew... later in the same chat i did asked more details like "can u modify it so cuestick follows mouse position while looking at cueball" and then it give me the actual code but again with wrong parameters using radians... which isnt a big problem cause construct just has the angle(xyxy) and i modified a few events "removed them" cause it seems chatgpt doesnt know that u can have multiple actions on the same "everytick condition" + i kept his "set position to cueball" which is redundant since the position gets updated again later on xD

• ChatGPT is pretty helpful for scripting, especially for problems that aren't specific to the C3 API. The solutions usually point me in the right direction even when they're incorrect. That said, it frequently has hallucinations when writing C3 API code. I expect this will improve over time.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)