Can games be used to bring change?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Easily generate many levels from a set of pre-built scenes (Construct 3 template)
  • Hi all,

I know games are only for entertainment. But I feel that of all entertainment forms games has the most impact on us? What do you say? If you agree, can that be used to bring some change and help us to be better persons. would such games be preachy?

• Anything can bring change. Thing about games is that primary focus goes into inputs, and whatever you'd learn is then tide in your brain to the cognitive behavior of manual input.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • They can!

Movies are also supposed to be for entertainment only (at least the fictional one) but they have been known to forge opinions and "convey knowledge" of lands/history/people - they are the ones that have the most effect on us (from the entertainment industry)

I don't really understand the concept of preachy - you are the director/producer and you are presenting an idea supported by visuals in a form of a game to the public, they either like it or not. When they view your idea they have to consider what you may have wanted to convey and/or why the characters make such choices, in the context of their own experience.

Some people think that the Matrix is preachy, so I wouldn't worry about it

My advise would be, if you are interested in doing such a project - make sure that a game is story driven and make sure to make the locations/environment stand out.

This wouldn't necessarily bring to change, but it may make people aware of a message or an event, if they are interested enough, they can look further into it (remember, they may not be aware such a thing exist at all) and at some point they will have to make a choice.

• People know when they are being preached at, usually, often it turns them off or they ignore it. Or they dump it.

• People know when they are being preached at, usually, often it turns them off or they ignore it. Or they dump it.

yep, I think we tend to get away from something if the unpleasant feeling it causes supersedes the pleasant feeling..If the level of preciseness exceeds the entertainment it provides...

• They can!

Movies are also supposed to be for entertainment only (at least the fictional one) but they have been known to forge opinions and "convey knowledge" of lands/history/people - they are the ones that have the most effect on us (from the entertainment industry)

I don't really understand the concept of preachy - you are the director/producer and you are presenting an idea supported by visuals in a form of a game to the public, they either like it or not. When they view your idea they have to consider what you may have wanted to convey and/or why the characters make such choices, in the context of their own experience.

Some people think that the Matrix is preachy, so I wouldn't worry about it

My advise would be, if you are interested in doing such a project - make sure that a game is story driven and make sure to make the locations/environment stand out.

This wouldn't necessarily bring to change, but it may make people aware of a message or an event, if they are interested enough, they can look further into it (remember, they may not be aware such a thing exist at all) and at some point they will have to make a choice.

When I play video games for a while, I get reminded by it for a long time when I do something..just like how meditation makes you mindful. So if this is the case for most of us, I thought, why not use this effect in a positive way. Like not trashing the surroundings, taking care of leaky taps, unused lamps..like that, taking care of them in auto pilot mode.

• Games made a difference while growing up, and they still do. They helped stimulate my imagination and creativity, and gave me some awesome childhood memories.

• Gaming as an art form has been one of the most influential in my life. And can help bring change, just like any other art can.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)