feedback on my CV

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
  • Hi guys! I have made a CV so whenever I need it, it will be with me ready?

Can you tell me your opinion about my CV? and thanks.

Dropbox link: https://db.tt/nkqfoTgy

• Why on earth would anyone need a Carrot Voltmeter?

• Naji if you're applying a real job, that is "how not to write a resume" honestly. You're still young, you have a lot of chance to garner credible experience. I suggest you hone exceptional skill in PROGRAMMING (regardless what language software you like) first then it would be marvelous to put in your CV.

Mind if I ask what is this CV for? If you're looking into getting scholarship for studies, you don't write a CV, you write a portfolio. Lastly, those contents are more suited for a portfolio rather than a CV.

• I went ahead and rewrote your CV, your current one is actually very good at communicating a lot of information quickly which is crucial for a CV - but I've tweaked it to hit the conventional requirements of a business CV.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_A8Zf ... sp=sharing

Some general tips:

You shouldn't put your date of birth on a CV.

Photos are a point of debate among recruiters - to play it safe I removed it.

Relevant experience always comes before education.

And this where the tough love comes in...

The unspoken rule for CV writing is that you're allowed to fluff your qualifications up slightly - for example my CV states that I can speak German at a business level, this isn't a lie as I have a CEFRL qualification; but if I was thrown into a room full of Germans I might be a bit intimidated. You normaly fluff qualifications that are unlikely to ever be necessary.

The problem with your current CV is that several times you list things that would be an absolute turn-off for a professional, and might even insult them. For example you state you have 3 years experience in web-design. but you're using a Weebly hosted website that runs on a template! Web-design is a very young industry (20 years) and 3 years of experience is quite substantial. The same applies to game design; the person reading your letter may be a university graduate who's just worked his way to his first promotion, he'd likely have 2 years of professional experience, and would not take kindly to the comparison.

A CV probably isn't your best bet, I'd take something similar to the document I attached, flesh it out, maybe add some photos of your games, and add a covering letter (No longer than a page, signed by hand) explaining that you'd be interested in any volunteer work experience or advice that your chosen company can give you, and physically post it to them.

None of this is meant to be discouraging, I think I speak for most people when I say that we wish we were as passionate and determined at 14 years old; I hope this advice is helpful.

Also, we share the same birthday!

• THE BAD NEWS.

A CV won't help you. A portfolio will be 1000 x more of a benefit.

A CV is usually at min 5 full pages which gives the reader everything they need to make a decision if you are the ideal candidate. Unfortunately yours tell people to stay away. Your age is going to be a problem. Your young mindset etc shines through, etc etc...

BUT... this can be changed to a WIN.

I've told you before... you have a unbelievable drive, a passion, a sense of purpose. Your goal/objective is NOT "Developing a successful game, and show people &

developers my skills." WRONG!, NO!

YOUR GOAL/OBJECTIVE: Is to LEARN. Be Molded. Be lead. Be Apprenticed. Nobody is going to pay you a monthly paycheck, to many rules/laws against child labour. BUT, everyone loves a passionate youth, who is willing to learn. Your goal is to attract a sponsor, get an apprenticeship type deal.

And how to do this is to showcase your skills. Use C2 to make a portfolio. (Show them YOU, don't make a game, make a walkthru into your life. Your dreams, Your current Possion. They look at games all the time, show them something different. You want their hearts, not their wallets, but of course use game mechanics to showcase you, your life, you passion. Link to your games (open in new tab) etc.

And host this app on your own website (you need to spend $10 to get your own domain - I would have brought it for you, but after you flamed me on pm.... well lets say... I still have hope for you which is why I am still trying to help you, but after your childish outburst, you have fallen a few notches down and will take time to build up.

But your goal. Your goal is to Be Educatable, Inspirational, Driven. You WANT, education, you want apprenticeship (they include you on their team, so you can add some big projects to your portfolio).

Oh, you want brick/mortar offices. You want to spend afternoon after school at a real business. So find small companies in your area. India is code central - lol. You want to observe a business being run... you want to see a project from beginning to end.

Your mom and dad will feed you, clothe you, etc. You don't need money - yet.

Edit: I didn't edit the above, so I hope it reads okay, I just spewed it out, rather than made it readable. Bottom line. People love kids that have passion/drive etc.

• Why on earth would anyone need a Carrot Voltmeter?

What is a carrot voltmeter??

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I have just clicked the CV you made me and I requested access, so please accept it so I can read. This is actually my first time doing a CV and I didn't knew what to write or what I should do, so I used templates from the internet. by the way glad we share the same birthday!

DUTOIT , yeah sorry for flaming you over pm, I became defensive because I thought you want to report me & kick me out of Scirra

• DUTOIT , yeah sorry for flaming you over pm, I became defensive because I thought you want to report me & kick me out of Scirra

No Problem.

Don't limit yourself to game development.

Apps, software, even websites development will aid you well.

Any firm that does any sort of coding, preferably anything html5, and any or all the C's. Anything with code and heck, even graphics / design.

Many aspects to game developer, even tax, accountant, management. Boring stuff, but all vital.

Age is an issue for you, or it can be an opportunity. Its up to you to decide.

• Naji: The document is now public (Y)

• Naji: The document is now public (Y)

Thank you so much! I will add the descriptions & fix it. we can't add in development games?

by the way why we shouldn't mention our birth date ?

• There's no real rules on what should and should not be in a portfolio, I just figured completed games would convey a stronger message - though in-development games could also demonstrate a constant passion, it's a personal choice

Generally your birth date, marital status and family are considered too much information; the reasoning being that recruiters don't want to be accused of being biased (ageist), it's the same reason photographs are a bit hit and miss.

The best way to think of it is that a CV is a list of relevant qualifications for a specific job, that happens to have your contact information - anything that isnt that isn't needed.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)