Favorite type of leveling method in video games.

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
8-bit retro-style music and sound effects: 10 loops-able music tracks and 301 individual SFX!
  • Which of the following methods do you prefer for leveling systems in games?

Level based method

The "traditional" method. Gaining XP as you go, killing things, completing quests and so on. Enemy creatures are fixed levels depending on area and don't level up when you do. Spawns are the same if you're level 1 or level 100, but previously difficult locations become gradually easier.

The Elder Scrolls method

When you level up, so do all the NPC's and enemies, and new spawns appear while others disappear as you continue to level up.

Cash for abilities

You use gold or XP to improve your stats, either focusing on some or spreading it out among more stats. Levels of enemies and NPC's stay the same.

Please vote!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm not sure if I have a favorite. I think it depends on the rest of the game design. EverQuest was one of my favorite games of all time and they used the "traditional" way of leveling up. Elder Scrolls and Ultima Online shared a similar method; you skilled up in whatever you were using. I.E. swinging your sword would increase your sword skill.

With the Elder Scrolls method, I don't really like how the monsters scale depending on your level of skill. As for buying abilities, I think it's fine depending on how it's incorporated into the game. Everquest allowed you to increase certain skills from your guild master's for some gold.

• My ability to vote is broken for some reason...

But I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to RPGs. I prefer the "Diablo Style" of levelling where you get stat points upon levelling, and EXP can be earned from completing quests and killing stuff.

Some ideas I would like to see added to this though include:

• Exp given for exploration of new areas (not on the "main route" of the linear quests and storyline)
    • Optional bonus grind (extras that can make the game more interesting, but you don't NEED them to complete the game. Extra grindy for those people who can click until their mouse button falls off)

~Sol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)