Cut-Scenes Opinion

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
3D Rendered, High Resolution elements to create an apocalytic scene or war zone
  • My favorite cutscenes are about fish.

• But I guess I can see how they could be taken for granted in this age of cutscene-centric games. And things like Final Fantasy with their long-ass summon scenes, or Metal Gear with 90 minute scenes don't really help matters.

Right, but I think anyone who sits down to play a Metal Gear game, expects those long scenes. Same with Final Fantasy.

I think the real problem is that a vast majority of game developers think they need to also be movie directors and can't allow a scene to be short. It's a heck of a lot easier to make a short scene interesting than a long one.

• IMO resident evil 4 had some of the best cutscenes. They had action commands hidden at specific times during the scene, like dodging an axe or grabbing a cliff. You could actually die during a cutscene, and it really made you feel connected.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • For the record: My first game system was an Atari 800.

Yeah Ninja Gaiden and its parallax (back then it was quite a sight that) cutscenes was great, back then I was impressed. I guess it comes down to me having less and less time to spend on gaming, so I just want to squeeze every second out of it. I'm not saying they look ugly, I just feel it could be done better... I'm sure gaming will evolve in such a way that they're unneeded... these days it's cutscenes with quicktime events, who knows what's next.

• Maybe I'm just too old school to hate cutscenes. When I was a kid there were no cutscenes in any game. The first game I played that had them was Ninja Gaiden on NES, and that was pretty much revolutionary. The opening scene set a nice mood for the story, and the ones in between levels were like a reward for advancing in the game.

I still see cutscenes that way. They do nothing but enhance the experience for me, and reward me for playing well enough to move on. I don't see them as a hindrance at all.

But I guess I can see how they could be taken for granted in this age of cutscene-centric games. And things like Final Fantasy with their long-ass summon scenes, or Metal Gear with 90 minute scenes don't really help matters.

This. All of it.

I never understand people who just *skip skip skip skip* all the way through, then wonder why they think "THIS GAME WAS CRAP!" It's like putting a DVD in... pressing play.... then skipping all the way to the credits. Damn that movie was full of suck. No shit idiot.

Watch cutscenes. They make you into a man.

~Sol

• I never understand people who just *skip skip skip skip* all the way through, then wonder why they think "THIS GAME WAS CRAP!" It's like putting a DVD in... pressing play.... then skipping all the way to the credits.

Some games make me feel like I'm watching a DVD.

That can't be right.

I'm not thinking "THIS GAME WAS CRAP!", I'm thinking "WHEN DO I GET TO PLAY?"

• > I never understand people who just *skip skip skip skip* all the way through, then wonder why they think "THIS GAME WAS CRAP!" It's like putting a DVD in... pressing play.... then skipping all the way to the credits.

>

Some games make me feel like I'm watching a DVD.

That can't be right.

I'm not thinking "THIS GAME WAS CRAP!", I'm thinking "WHEN DO I GET TO PLAY?"

That's it, exactly. Nothing wrong with cut-scenes if that's what they are, a cut-scene. It's when it's a short film in the middle of the action and can't be skipped that gets annoying.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)