Best way to indicate language selections

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Best car suspension with spring effect and very cool terrain generation.
  • What do you feel is the best way to achieve this in a mobile app?

My first thought is to have no words, just national flags for the user to tap on. But does this raise some political-correctness issues? I mean seeing the US or UK flag for English won't offend people from (e.g.) Australia, New Zealand, etc. but does this hold for other countries who share a language or major dialect?

The other option is simply to have the name of each language in text. Is this 'safer'/preferable?

Thanks.

• I'd go with flags, simply because it's more universal. Might as well use the GB flag for English, since that's where it comes from and not worry too much about it.

• I'd go with flags, simply because it's more universal. Might as well use the GB flag for English, since that's where it comes from and not worry too much about it.

Hey thanks for the comment. Yea I wasn't overthinking it too much, just curious

• Either the name of the languages IN their language (like

English

Français

Español)

or flags (understandable easily, and if someone is offended then... that would be trolling I think at this point as the point is to be understood), or both (I remember games doing both, having the flag next to the language name).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Either the name of the languages IN their language (like

>English

>Français

>Español)

or flags (understandable easily, and if someone is offended then... that would be trolling I think at this point as the point is to be understood), or both (I remember games doing both, having the flag next to the language name).

I'm thinking of having both, although I prefer the aesthetics of the flags on their own

• Flags!

• Flags!

• Flags!

heh thanks there's a lot of opposition around for using flags.. but I still do (plus text)

• I have a language selection layout that shows only the first time you open the game, so its not a big deal. Of course you can change the language of my game in the options section.

• I have a language selection layout that shows only the first time you open the game, so its not a big deal. Of course you can change the language of my game in the options section.

Same, but in mine the user can press the back button from the main screen to choose language again. (I don't have/need options).

• > I have a language selection layout that shows only the first time you open the game, so its not a big deal. Of course you can change the language of my game in the options section.

>

Same, but in mine the user can press the back button from the main screen to choose language again. (I don't have/need options).

I think the users are gonna chose the language the very first time. I think it would be very unusual that they want to change the language, but anyway let's focus on the gameplay!

• > I have a language selection layout that shows only the first time you open the game, so its not a big deal. Of course you can change the language of my game in the options section.

>

I think the users are gonna chose the language the very first time. I think it would be very unusual that they want to change the language, but anyway let's focus on the gameplay!

• I think the users are gonna chose the language the very first time. I think it would be very unusual that they want to change the language, but anyway let's focus on the gameplay!

Indeed. However someone testing my app hit the wrong language by accident and there was no simple way for him to re-select it

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)