How do you come up with an art style?

From the Asset Store
Slot Machine Games. suitable for workers who work from home because it has player names that must be played alternately
  • I want to make another Space Invaders clone, but I'm having a real hard time coming up with an art style for it. How do you all go about it? Trial and error? Research? Sometimes I can just sit there and it happens, most of the time though everything I create looks plop. Any pointers?

Out of interest, has anyone hired an artist for their game? What kind of money can you expect to spend for a decent job? I've seen some advertised but I don't want to waste their time if it's too expensive. I know the only way to find out is to ask but I'd like a rough idea of what I'd be looking at.

Cheers.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If you are planning to make a really good game, it might be a good idea to get up a fun prototype, then put it on an artists website asking for someone to split profits. Of course, only do this if you are very serious about the game!

I did this and got multiple offers.

• That's a great idea but I'm a pessimist so I'd be afraid of the game not selling and everyone hating me lol. It's something to consider though once I come up with a game I'm really happy with.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)