Y always Epic?!

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
This Girls Game allows young fashionistas to develop their taste and skills as a fashion designer.
  • Hi there,

Trough out majority of my life I've played and clocked mostly epic scale games! I want to make a game that will be fast to develop. But I can't came up with any ideas that r not epic. So I've got 3 epic games designed partly, and i guess I'm better at designing those, but i know it would take over a year to make them ( and they would work in 3d better too).

What shall i do? Shall I finished my epic project on paper and so some artwork to go with it and then look for a company that would make it? Or shall i continue on thinking on some little game?

x

• Shall I finished my epic project on paper and so some artwork to go with it and then look for a company that would make it?

Will never happen.

• > Shall I finished my epic project on paper and so some artwork to go with it and then look for a company that would make it?

>

Will never happen.

Nice one! XD

• I want to make a game that will be fast to develop. But I can't came up with any ideas that r not epic.

Quickly and epic are mutually exclusive. Pick one or the other.

What shall i do? Shall I finished my epic project on paper and so some artwork to go with it and then look for a company that would make it?

The chances of that working are almost nil.

Or shall i continue on thinking on some little game?

As someone making a 'mini' RPG as practice that's taking over two years to complete, I tell you: try smaller games until you have some sort of idea about how to design software efficiently. Like maybe a mini version (or a practice chapter) of the game you want to make entirely for fun and to learn the ropes, it also can work both as a prototype and proof of concept, and practice for the epic game you want to make.

If you're going to even attempt something epic, you have to design the code base very well from the start. By making a mini version, you'll learn a ton about it.

I also would reccommend holding off until C2 for anything epic. C1 is managing my mini RPG, but the IDE has some performance problems which are making it in some ways difficult to work with.

Oh, and don't worry about it - going epic and having trouble coming up with something simpler is a common problem.

• >

> > Shall I finished my epic project on paper and so some artwork to go with it and then look for a company that would make it?

> >

>

> Will never happen.

>

Nice one! XD

It's true. Game companies just plain aren't interested in anyone's ideas. They have teams of people that they pay to come up with ideas for them, and even then only a very small fraction of those ideas ever get used.

There are two ways to get a video game company to listen to you:

1. Go to work for them. You have to start at the bottom doing shitty grunt-work for several years. And they don't listen to grunts. Grunts are there to make assets and program the ideas that the company already has. If you're really, really excellent (as in better than all of the hundreds of other people you work with) then maybe you can eventually work your way up to a position where they will start listening to you. And even then, AAA titles aren't designed by one person... if they like your idea at all then it will be passed to a committee where all of the details are going to get changed in order to make it more marketable, and your idea will no longer be your idea anyway. Also, they get all the rights to it.

2. Make your own hit game that makes a shitload of money. Money talks. When they see the giant pile of money that you made with your game, then a big name studio might be a little more likely to listen to you. But even then your game is going to get passed to a committee where all of your ideas get changed.

Basically the only people who are allowed to make a game exactly the way they want to are indies, and they have to do it on their own.

At any rate, 99% of being a solo game designer is trying to keep yourself from getting too epic. You have to learn to work within your means or else you will never make a game. My advice is to take your best 2 or 3 ideas from your epic game and throw the rest away, and make a smaller game with that.

• Thanks everyone 4 your replays.

>

> >

> >

> > Will never happen.

> >

>

> Nice one! XD

>

It's true.

I was just being cynical on how pessimistic it sounds

DeadEye@ I'm thinking indie, even if it would be 3d. Never really wanted to be part of any AAA team, except maybe for team ico! Anyway, you're got point there about making the game more basic. I did it already but maybe not enough. I should probably chop down the graphics first right?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If not epic, try episodic.

• If not epic, try episodic.

yeah, that's the route I'm planning at the moment. on of my main passions lies in attempting to make stupendous game engines

and I also like grand scale. the episodic route allows alot of flexibility

you can release a single awesome level and call it a demo

several more and make it the first release, pricing them according to the amount of content

if you decide to go that route. you might want to focus on being extremely organized, and also, making your 'engine' as reusable as possible. anything that will be used again and again should be kept in either a template cap, or a level editor, if you have the skillset to create such a thing

it's discouraging to work on the same things over and over again spending more time on boilerplate code and tedium than you do on your wonderous content

• Episodic game are very good idea, but what if the game design is in veins of zelda and metroid?

• if u want the gaem epic have some soundtracks like Halos soundtracks and add in a character like Cratos hes god of epic war (that's the tname of his game!!!") and then have some Zedla bosses and boom Epic Game the game is what I'd call it i sent in some plans to nintendo but buthey never got back to me.

• if u want the gaem epic have some soundtracks like Halos soundtracks and add in a character like Cratos hes god of epic war (that's the tname of his game!!!") and then have some Zedla bosses and boom Epic Game the game is what I'd call it i sent in some plans to nintendo but buthey never got back to me.

in this thread 'A link to the past' should be an example of meaning of Epic ^^'

Btw. my game would be merely 1/3 size of that game. Is it still to big?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)