Hey everyone! I've been working on my game and we have been working with tall sprites and some various packs for tiles here and there. One of the things that seemed to be lacking was a character generator that had a bunch of flexibility for assembling anything that had different sized images, or a lot of layers such as:
- Tall/short sprites
- Sprite animations or sprite sheets that were non-typical frame counts
- Different sized faces, busts or full body art
- Characters that you wanted more layers for (2 accessories and 4 tattoos, etc)
GIMP and Photoshop are available, but they take forever to work with and are somewhat clunky if you are trying to do stuff quickly as an end user and not a native artist type. So, I decided to make a tool for the job. It's been approved for release on Steam, and I will also probably release it on Itch.io as well, eventually. Here is the link to the Steam Page for it -
Here's a list of the features it has:
Assemble any image files in layers, reposition them, add color effects and save as single file!
This light-weight program allows you to add an unlimited number of layers on any sized canvas - perfect for developers looking to do assembly and recolors of packs of assets, sprites, faces, tiles, or anything else you'd like to edit!
For each layer, you pick a folder that has picture files in it, then use the interface to cycle through to mix and match. Each layer also includes:
- Pixel by Pixel movement, to make sure placement is EXACTLY correct!
- Hue shifts to change colors without affecting white, black, or gray - perfect for working with images that have neutrals or outlines.
- Alpha adjustment so you can adjust transparency of each layer, creating more opportunity for creative layering and effects.
- Standard Saturation/Gamma/Contrast adjustments so you can get your colorings JUST right!
- Red/Green/Blue balance adjustments so you can adjust those neutrals if you want, or just get the exact colors you need.
- Ready to mix it up? Randomize button for each layer to inspire creative mixes.
- Don't like how something looks? Clear the layer completely without destroying your work so far!
Since this program is browser based, its FAST! No laggy image editing programs, just a quick, responsive program that helps you make edits quickly and easily. No more waiting 5 - 10 minutes for your image editor to load.
This tool is in continuous development, so new features will be added over time.
I hope some of you find it helpful for working with different images to recolor, adjust and do some quick editing work on the fly!