Raspberry Pi 3 and C2

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • The Linux NW.js export is for x86-based CPUs. The Raspberry Pi is an ARM system so needs a separate build, which doesn't exist yet unfortunately.

Your best bet is to try to get a HTML5 export running in Chromium. Last I tried if you enabled their experimental graphics driver you could get WebGL, but it wasn't very fast and was pretty unstable. I think they're still working on it though so it may be getting better, I just haven't checked for a while.

• The Linux NW.js export is for x86-based CPUs. The Raspberry Pi is an ARM system so needs a separate build, which doesn't exist yet unfortunately.

Your best bet is to try to get a HTML5 export running in Chromium. Last I tried if you enabled their experimental graphics driver you could get WebGL, but it wasn't very fast and was pretty unstable. I think they're still working on it though so it may be getting better, I just haven't checked for a while.

Thank you Ashley, do you think that a simple game in pixel art with no effects and a resolution of 256x144 like this should be fine?

https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-fr ... plate-4155

I think to create games with resolution up to 320 x 240, but if performance are good I can try to push it up to 640 x 480 even if they are not my priority.

• Actually, I forgot that you can play my game on the arcade to have an idea:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/shooting- ... ndle-26702

• The best way to find out is test it on a real device. Nobody can really give accurate advice by speculating.

• Hi guys, any update about this? I was hoping to buy a raspberry just for run my games but I would like to know what's the best export to use for better performance after one year of updates.

Thank you

Performance on Pi 3 is still subpar. The GPU seems capable - it'll run Quake 3 just fine at 720p - but WebGL support is questionable and the CPU just isn't very good at running any heavy HTML5/JS content (games, for example) created with C2 at this time. Could be drivers, could be the low-power CPU, could be the way C2 does things.

• Ashley digitalsoapbox I understand, I might take a risk and get it one even if there are more powerful solutions. The community around it seems quite large compared to others and this is helping to let the software last longer.

I think I need to approach the development as a jam and find a king of games that will run well on it, but not sure if I can do personalised games for customers as I was wishing.

Thank you everyone, I will keep you posted and hopefully someone else can join the discussion and provide more feedback.

• I used C2 to make a simple RSS news feed as a test to run on a Pi 3, which works fine, since because it's text it doesn't need a steady 60fps - which is our only realistic target since we can't lock C2 to 30fps with predictable or reliable results, nor should anyone really consider 30fps a target with simple 2D projects or games - but you don't really need C2 to do something like that either.

If you're doing something basic, like an endless runner, it MIGHT perform okay on Pi 3. But even a simple retro arcade-style game like a Pacman clone is going to have some performance issues. The Pi hardware isn't really built for HTML5 games, but considering its low cost it definitely can't hurt to give it a try on your own.

• I have ordered one and I will give it a try. In the worst case scenario I will try to export the game for Android, or if sticking with HTML5, I will try turn based games that might suit better.

I will keep you posted with the progress.

• I have ordered one and I will give it a try. In the worst case scenario I will try to export the game for Android, or if sticking with HTML5, I will try turn based games that might suit better.

I will keep you posted with the progress.

Any updates ?

• I have received my PI few days ago. Tried to install Raspian about 10 times but keep failing. It ended up that the mini SD had 50% of bad sectors. Probably a fake one. I will have to buy another one and try again.

I might be busy in the next 2-3 weeks so I will update you in a bit.

• I might be busy in the next 2-3 weeks so I will update you in a bit.

Awesome thank you for your feedback! Here's mine:

I decided to buy a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ because my Raspberry Pi Zero W wasn't able to handle Raspbian+Chromium (kept CPU at 100%) - I was running a "game" at 800x480 and with 3 textboxes & 2 small 5FPS sprites going on at an astounding 1FPS even with WebGL active (in the game as well as Chromium).

However, when running the Arora browser from NOOBS I got a significant improvement with an average of 7 FPS.

In any case this isn't close to what I need (at least 20FPS) - so I hope the Pi 3 will help. Waiting for it to arrive, I'll share all the details once I get my hands on it!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > I might be busy in the next 2-3 weeks so I will update you in a bit.

>

Awesome thank you for your feedback! Here's mine:

I decided to buy a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ because my Raspberry Pi Zero W wasn't able to handle Raspbian+Chromium (kept CPU at 100%) - I was running a "game" at 800x480 and with 3 textboxes & 2 small 5FPS sprites going on at an astounding 1FPS even with WebGL active (in the game as well as Chromium).

However, when running the Arora browser from NOOBS I got a significant improvement with an average of 7 FPS.

In any case this isn't close to what I need (at least 20FPS) - so I hope the Pi 3 will help. Waiting for it to arrive, I'll share all the details once I get my hands on it!

Nice to know, this will be helpful so we can exchange feedback and try to understand better the thing since I am not able to find anyone (aside for the ones in this discussion) that have done any experimentation with HTML5 games.

Hopefully we can reach a 30 FPS for an average game soon

• Nice to know, this will be helpful so we can exchange feedback and try to understand better the thing since I am not able to find anyone (aside for the ones in this discussion) that have done any experimentation with HTML5 games.

Hopefully we can reach a 30 FPS for an average game soon

Hi again , I just wanted to say that I cancelled my purchase of the Raspberry Pi 3 and instead bought the Asus Tinker Board as per suggestion by Ashley. I tried it out with the same game that I was using before (just a couple of textboxes and a simple 5 FPS sprite). I am now getting 52 FPS and it works pretty much flawlessly.

Sometimes it does slow down a bit for a couple of frames but except for that it works great and my CPU usage is below 30% (I am running a vnc server on the board though).

• I was going to buy that too but then stocked with the pi since it has a larger community. I might try the Asus too later on since it is seems much more powerful. 52 is really good but if you think that are just plain textboxes is a bit strange. Anyway, hopefully we'll find a cheap machine that runs simple games soon

• Just a quick reminder to myself to post here updates.

I have done few tests in my little bit of free times and even my games at 64x64 pixels lag.

I will have to upload modified versions of the games so I can show up FPS and compare while doing tests.

I'm wondering if is it worth to try to install Android and then export the game for that.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)