PAID looking for programmer for text-to-speech

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Customizable speech bubble dialogue system! With this dialogue system, you can finally have speech bubbles in your game!
  • looking for programmer that can write me a built in text-to-speech in construct 3 for game.

I'm searching for a built in TTS in game that doesn't require internet to fetch different voices ( i think that's how it works ), i can record my own voice if possible, and use that to generate the tts for characters and add effects like pitch, speed, distortion and anything that can make a character sound like a literal robot, but still English speaking.

basically if possible i would just write the lines in construct assign those to a character and the effect parameters and thats it.

Will pay.

• Doesn’t look like much is available beyond what the included text to speech plugin does. Limited local voices and many voices on the cloud but there seems to be limited selection. Maybe it’s hard to make one?

From what I can tell there are two parts to doing text to speech.

1. Convert text to a list of phonemes (or sounds) to say the words. Basically that would be done by applying all English pronunciation rules to the text. Could be tedious but a shortcut could be to utilize a website that can do the conversion to do it with all the dialog beforehand. Would make the code simpler.

2. Have a recorded sound of each phoneme and their length so you can play that list. English has 44 so that’s mostly busywork to record and trim the recordings. Better playback varies volume, pitch and speed to replicate speech more closely but it would require more expertise to know in what ways to do that. A pro about doing it with just sounds is you can utilize any feature the audio plug-in provides.

A prototype of the idea could be record a few phonemes to do some words to see how it sounds. Likely it would be fairly monotone and robotic.

State of the art seems to utilize neural networks to extract phonemes from a sample of speech and a different one to blend the phonemes together to sound less robotic. But that’s out of the scope of my knowledge.

That said I’m just sharing some ideas. I lack the time and expertise to make a complete solution at this time.

Edit: tried a simple test where I tried recording the individual sounds and then combining them together manually. It came out pretty rough. More research is needed.

• thanks for your response,

I've researched bit on the subject and even went to chat GPT for help on the subject lol, and both on the web and chat GPT mention webspeech API \ or javaspeech API that can be downloaded and used offline. My understanding ( and correct me if I'm wrong) is that the API is the programming already done for the speech phonemes, since there's this in JavaScript, cant construct use the API and my own recordings to "piece" it together ?

• Well all I can find is the SpeechSynthesisVoice JavaScript api has a list of voices you can use that varies per device. I don’t see a way to add other voices from JavaScript.

You can find lots of sites that provide a service to use your own voice to read text but most aren’t free and all look like they generate the audio on their servers?

One library sounded promising for making your own tts voice but the setup had around 10 steps and it wasn’t clear how you could use the voice.

Overall seems like a complicated mess.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • roger that, thanks for your input, with all the advancement on ai and speech synthesis i thought it would be easier by now.

while it still would sound fairly monotone, in a game where all characters are robots, not only it would work in my tests it can be hilarious. and of course there's no need for any recording, just type your text, add some pauses here and there and it works.

im surprised not many companies use this, the only one that comes to mind lately is The Finals but that is obviously another level of quality.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)