WiiU development kit

From the Asset Store
You can become a REAL game developer. Learn the basics and get resources that will let you get profits from your game!

I know a few have gone on to make games for the WiiU. Did you buy the development kit hardware that they have listed from their site, or did you find another way to test the game, then package it for the WiiU? I wish there was a way we could use the retail console as the development hardware.

I know a few have gone on to make games for the WiiU. Did you buy the development kit hardware that they have listed from their site, or did you find another way to test the game, then package it for the WiiU? I wish there was a way we could use the retail console as the development hardware.

Due to an NDA between Nintendo and Scirra, no discussion on exporting or the process can be discussed here. Please go to the Nintendo forums to discuss the process or ask any questions you may have.

See following: https://www.scirra.com/forum/search.php?keywords=nintendo+nda&terms=all&author=Ashley+&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Sorry about that, thanks.

I dont get the secrecy on a question like that. You do need the dev kit to test the game on Wii U hardware. A retail console wont work.

It's not about secrecy - an NDA is place. Scirra can get into trouble if they break the NDA.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

I dont get the secrecy on a question like that. You do need the dev kit to test the game on Wii U hardware. A retail console wont work.

There isn't any reason for the answer to this question to be considered behind the NOA NDA. There's no connection whatsoever, and the information has been posted publicly by Nintendo.

So, to answer the original question by bpetersen, Nintendo has a couple of options (posted publicly) for Wii U development kits. There's two models, and the less expensive model can be used for C2 development - the other one is geared more towards Unity or full-fledged 3D game development. The only way to reliably test games is on the development hardware Nintendo provides. They previously offered a leasing program for the development kits, though I'm not sure they still do (and that information is no longer posted publicly), but in all honesty, I wouldn't bother - the NX will be out in less than a year and seems like it will be far more capable in terms of what's possible with C2 on Nintendo platforms. The state of C2 development on Wii U is poor, though this is not the fault of Scirra or C2 (the exact reasons why are, sadly, behind NDA).

There's information related to using the Nintendo Web Framework (also public) in this Reddit thread that may be of use: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/commen ... ng_for_it/

And just to be safe, in case the info is covered by Scirra's NDA (it's not covered by mine, but the info is no longer public on Nintendo's developer site), if you just search for "Wii U Dev Kits" you can get more information on the differences between Wii U dev kit models.

I'd also like to know that.. even if there was a way to test it on your PC and make it run as it would on an Wii U, it would be perfect. Since Nintendo opened up the dev registration for everyone I became one, but buying a dev kit is just too expensive for me.. I haven't read anything about leasing on their site though.

I'd also like to know that.. even if there was a way to test it on your PC and make it run as it would on an Wii U, it would be perfect. Since Nintendo opened up the dev registration for everyone I became one, but buying a dev kit is just too expensive for me.. I haven't read anything about leasing on their site though.

No, there's no good way to do this. The Nintendo Web Framework is specific to the Wii U.

The Nintendo development process is covered by an NDA. Rather than get in to debates about what is or isn't public information, you should simply go to https://developer.nintendo.com/, sign up there, and ask on their forums after you've agreed to the NDA. Then you can be told everything, and nobody has to risk breaking the NDA via our own forums. Closing this thread.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)