Scorpiux [Devlog]

0 favourites
  • Hello everyone. As you might have known or seen some pics before of my project, I am working on my new arcade game called Scorpiux. The purpose of this thread is to share the current process of the project and developments of what Im working on for this game. I will be posting updates of the game and openly sharing the ideas and concepts of these designs I decided that would fit the game. So join me on my journey of me developing my second project if your interested in seeing game development and progress from start to end ;)

The Game: Scorpiux is a shooting arcade game where the player(s) have to locate and destroy hazard environmental machines causing the environment to mutate and grow abnormally.

The Concept: The game concept was originally designed to be a shooting game. But the idea was scratched due to it being too simple and boring. So I decided to try something more creative and learn more coding.

The New New Concept: The game concept has been redesigned into shooting game. Unlike the very first shooting concept, player has to find and destroy Ecosystem machines that has caused mutation and growth in the environment. The game is no longer about trapping the enemy.

• MENU

Working on menus and the configurations. I completed the control menu, so when the player press the "controls" option on the main screen, they will see the controls on how to play the game. For now, all im doing is just getting the menu layouts completed for the game. For me, these are the easiest things to work on and get out the way when starting a project. It lays out the overall design of how everything will look and really, it helps you to see the vision of your game coming together as well as making progress of it. For me, this is a good way to stay motivated, while keeping you in a creative mind of ideas.

Here's what the control menu looks like for the game. (certain keys might change later on )

• Hi there!

This is a very cool idea!

Nice trick... the entrapment of the scorpions!

Are you looking for someone to work or share a project?

• This is a very cool idea! Nice trick... the entrapment of the scorpions! Are you looking for someone to work or share a project?

Thanks, For now im not really looking for someone or to share a project. But I am planning on looking for other developers to work with later on down the road when im finish some of my personal projects and develop more skills/understanding of more coding.

• Hello, im back again on with the development. So the last time I posted, I was working on the mechanics of my game. Unfortunately, I came to a realization that the idea of this game was not possible for me to achieve. I almost threw the whole project out because of this, but I decided to continue working on the project despite this fail T_T. So, I change the concept of the game again which is more achievable for me to work with and basically I made it a shooting game where the player has to find and locate "BioEnergy" that caused the environment to mutate and grew in size. I changed the player, took out the tilemap, did some recoding and editing and now im back and rolling with making this "project" be completed. I have some thoughts of making this a short game maybe like 12 levels, but I will see.

While this wasn't originally what I planned to make, I think its good for me to continue to learn for coding purposes.

Heres the screenshot of the new player (which would probably be changed again) and how the game is now.

• UPDATE

Hello everyone again, sorry for being so inactive and inconsistent with the updates of this posts. I deleted some posts on here to give a fresh new update of what's happening now. So to start, last time I shared that I once more changed the concept of this game because I realized that the game was not possible to play (game wise). So I had to change the concept and made the game a shooting game.

CHANGES

Besides the whole game idea itself being changed, I have put in a great amount of work of making the player better looking for the game and the animation. Before, the player was this wide shape red square body guy. I had design 4 players in total throughout this whole project. Starting as a Tank, to a short man that could trap the enemy in boxes, to the red square body man, to a more better red guy.

new player design on left / old player design on right.

Other changes I worked on was some redesign of the level/layout, sound effects, score, and some redesign for the menu.

MECHANIC UPDATE 1

So we are back to square one with the mechanics. Since this is a new concept of a game. I had to restart on some areas of the game. I got the enemy to follow player and now im working on some character animation. I got the player to walk smoothly and turn, but now im working on making the player crouch to shoot. While in crouch position, player cannot move, but can still turn to the appropriate direction to shoot if an enemy is coming from the top, bottom, or side direction.

EARLY DEVELOPMENT GAMEPLAY

As stated before, my aim is to created old school style indie arcade games. So far, everything is coming along wonderfully. Sounds sounds nice, movement is good, and everything looks neat so far. Got a lot more to work on but im proud to show where im at so far.

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • MECHANIC UPDATE 2

On part 2 of mechanics, I have gotten my player to crouch and shoot. While crouching, the player cannot move in this state. Much other work has been done such as...

1. Making item spawn in a random rock when rock is destroyed.

2. Showing players X-Coordinate and Y-Coordinate as player walks around.

3. Bullet redesign when player shoots.

4. And making a wall for bullet to not travel all across the whole layout. So when bullet touch wall it gets destroyed.

5. Getting hi-score to update on menu screen.

I really took the time to try to study and do more coding without going to the forums and asking for help. And im actually happy that I figured somethings out on my own. So im happy about this. Last for mechanics, is making the player bullet angle go the right direction when facing a certain direction. I know that should be easy to fix, but something is off on how I did it.

Anyways, new update of gameshot. I also played around and just made a more older style title of the game

gameshot

old style title (its not official, was playing around to see how it looked)

• MECHANIC UPDATE 3

Good Morning folks. Im back with another update for Scorpiux. So, the new progress is that I fixed the shooting of my player to go into the right direction finally. I also added position spots for the enemies of when the player dies, they will go back into where they were positioned at. Thats all, that I've done since the last update. But it's very nice figuring out how to do these things on my own without asking for much help, so it helps me to learn. Other things I have thought on was also making another state called "Seen". If enemy see's the player, it will automatically pursue after player and cancel going into "Pursue" state.

NEW IDEAS

To add to the game, im thinking of making a new enemy. Unlike the scorpions, this enemy is a giant bug that will hover around the EcoXsystems. They will be seen as you progress more in the levels protecting the EcoXsystems and if they see you, they will pursue after player.

BUG (Giant Fly)

Heres some more screenshots of the game

Enemy Scores

Mission

• Happy Friday everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying their day so far because I am. Im here to post my update so let's just get right to it.

MECHANIC UPDATE 4 - MECHANICS COMPLETED! (FOR NOW)

I think I have completed the mechanics of the game now and got everything fixed that I wanted to be fixed and coded right. I've gotten my enemies to work exactly how I wanted them to work and chase player with LOS. The Player moves smoothly and well. Everything looks and feels exactly how I want it to be. So now the new task to work on is the LEVELS!!! WOO-HOOO!

LEVELS UPDATE 0

I will be seeing exactly how many levels I will make for this game. It's suppose to be a short arcade style game so im thinking maybe in the range of 13 - 20 levels. I already started making level 2. So im just moving forward with taking things one task at a time.

Well, that is it for now. But the game is getting is there and great progress has been made. Thank you all who has been following along with me so far with this game. Have a good day everyone!

Here's a new short video update the game.

• Hey hey, im back with my update! So let's just get to it.

LEVELS UPDATE 1

So I decided that there will probably be about 18 levels for this short arcade game. I think it's a reasonable amount of levels amount that isn't too short but also isn't too long. I have completed 12 levels so far. So once I finish with completing all the levels, I will double check all the levels to make sure the difficulty is reasonable to set at.

After this, I can work on resetting the game, work on hi-score leaderboard and create an ending for the game. That's all for the update folks! Hope everyone have a good week.

• Happy Saturday everyone! Im here with the levels update, so lets get to it.

LEVELS UPDATE 2 - LEVELS COMPLETED

Im officially done with all the levels! Now that I've completed this, I can officially start working on resetting the game!

RESTART GAME UPDATE 0

In this area, I will be focusing on properly working on getting the player to die from enemy and to restart the game once all the lives are gone.

These tasks will include...

1.Death from collision with enemy.

2.Player animation death.

3.Respawning player back to position after death.

4.Setting enemy back to their positions after players death.

5.Subtracting the lives of the player.

6.Show "Game Over" text.

7.Resetting/restarting all variables once game is over and go back to homescreen when player loses all lives.

That is it for now. But im happy great progress is being made. These tasks shouldn't be long to do.

• Hello guys, I got some new updates for the game👍🏾

RESTART GAME UPDATE 1

I've gotten some good work done so far. I have made the character animation death, I got the events done for the lives and just making sure things get reset right. I also worked on making sure, the player doesn't lose extra life from colliding into the enemy.

So the tasks I completed so far are...

1.Death from collision with enemy

2.Player animation death

3.Respawning player back to position after death

4.Setting enemy back to their positions after players death

5.Subtracting the lives of the player

6.Show "Game Over" text

7.Resetting/restarting all variables once game is over and go back to homescreen when player loses all lives.

I have not yet done the last task, but I wanted to make sure all the coding for the others were done right before resetting all the variables. Once I done with this, I can work on the leaderboard and extra lives. I Will see, but that is all for the update today.

Take a look for the game over animation...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • RESTART GAME UPDATE 2 - RESTART GAME COMPLETED

Hey folks, I've completed the restart of the game and now I'm off to see what other things needs to be worked on for the game.

So far the tasks I have left for completing this game are...

1. Top 5 leaderboard & enter your name

2. 2-player Mode

3. Go to next level

4. Pause Menu

5. Preview

6. Getting my Icon alert to work

7. Some layout transitions

8. Ending

9. Animation action (when level is beaten)

10.Let player know the amount of systems you have to destroy before the game starts

Wow. I can't believe im getting near to finish. I will work on the easiest things out of these tasks and work my up to the most difficult tasks. Im really excited for this game to get complete because Im really anxious to work on my new project i've been dying to finally fully start! But for now, I will continue to push to finish this project AND THEN announce my new project soon. So this new update will be focusing on the Pause Menu. It's the easiest to complete and it won't take long.

PAUSE MENU UPDATE 0

This Task update is very simple. All im doing is creating the pause feature for the player to take a short break.

The tasks for this are...

1. Design pause menu

2. Make selectable options for the pause menu

3. Make a Confirm option if player is sure to quit game

4. Exit game and return to main menu

That is all for this update, but check out my new menu update for SCORPIUX

• PAUSE MENU UPDATE 1 - PAUSE MENU COMPLETED

The pause menu has been completed. Tasks are done and now I can move on to the next list of tasks.

1. Design pause menu

2. Make selectable options for the pause menu

3. Make a Confirm option if player is sure to quit game

4. Exit game and return to main menu

Menus are the simplest and easiest things to do when working on a project and it helps set the overall design/theme of how everything will look.

Take a quick look

So now the tasks left are these...

2. 2-player Mode

3. Go to next level

4. Pause Menu

5. Preview

8. Ending

10.Let player know the amount of systems you have to destroy before the game starts

I will probably most likely work on doing some layout transitions or going to next level.

• GO to next level UPDATE 0 - COMPLETED

Animation action (when level is beaten) UPDATE 0 - COMPLETED

Extra lives earned UPDATE 0 - COMPLETED

These are the tasks that are now left on the list....

2. 2-player Mode

3. Go to next level

4. Pause Menu

5. Preview

8. Ending

I have a few more tasks left, but the game is near to finish. After I complete these tasks I will work on double checking everything and make sure to fix things that needs fixing. Im very excited to start my new project! I can't wait to share it with everyone!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)