question about double jump

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Jump on alphabets in the proper order and reach the sun!
  • hi guys,

in your opinion it is correct that you can do double jump when a platform behavior sprite is falling?

in my game I disabled double jump when the player is falling, and leave it enabled when the player is jumping.

what do you tink about?

• Don't do this.

If you want to know how double jump is programmed, and how to design levels for it, you should play platformers. For example, MegaMan. I strongly suggest you play any MegaMan that has a double jump type of ability, of which there are quite a few. And any that use wall climb, as playing both will teach you about the importance of spatial awareness and level design in a platformer. Also, play Halo 5. I realize a lot of people don't like the new mechanics (because they don't play like a classic Halo game, and I agree), but they are VERY solid, and are a good reference for these things.

Remember, all of your abilities as a player are tools to interact with the world around you. If a player falls, then jumps again, that will extend the reach of a jump they might not have otherwise made. Additionally, you could add a ceiling and wall that covers a hole in the floor, where the player must fall, and use double jump to the right to avoid a pit of spikes below. This is a common little design that you'll find often in platformers, it will become second nature to some.

It being second nature, though, is why it's so important to get it right. Making such a big change must be clearly defined, and have a clear reason for existing.

Take Blitz Breaker (https://www.scirra.com/arcade/action-games/blitz-breaker-demo-3167) for example. This game doesn't allow you to run, and instead vault anywhere at anytime. It's a neat way to set up mechanics, is clearly defined and easy to grasp, and feels like it really makes the experience original and fun.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • i have played a great super nes classic, "super ghouls 'n ghost" and double jump only its possible after first jump. if for example you are coming down from a platform moving with the arrow keys, you can not jump so you can not even do the double jump

• i have played a great super nes classic, "super ghouls 'n ghost" and double jump only its possible after first jump. if for example you are coming down from a platform moving with the arrow keys, you can not jump so you can not even do the double jump

Whooah, that's super weird. I could see how that makes that game, specifically, harder though. They limited themselves, but also used it as a feature in that case, because double jumping after the fall also makes it easier to avoid opponents... So, yeah, for sure, as long as it doesn't evidently cripple the player, and benefits the set of mechanics, go for it.

As always, it's always about how the mechanics are used when designing the level.

• > i have played a great super nes classic, "super ghouls 'n ghost" and double jump only its possible after first jump. if for example you are coming down from a platform moving with the arrow keys, you can not jump so you can not even do the double jump

>

Whooah, that's super weird. I could see how that makes that game, specifically, harder though. They limited themselves, but also used it as a feature in that case, because double jumping after the fall also makes it easier to avoid opponents... So, yeah, for sure, as long as it doesn't evidently cripple the player, and benefits the set of mechanics, go for it.

As always, it's always about how the mechanics are used when designing the level.

yeah

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)