Is it possible to create a game like prince of persia?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Hello

I'm new to construct2 and I'm wondering if its possible to make a game like Prince of Persia 2D, the first DOS version?

Thanks for any answer

Josef

• It maybe hard ! But not impossible and You will have to commit yourself fully with time and resources. If You have a bunch of guys to do it, then Go for it.

• Yes, a game like that wouldn't even be a stretch for the engine. You'd, of course, have to produce all the assets and events, but it doesn't seem like anything even close to outside the scope of C2's capabilities.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • PoP was my first game I ever played on PC and still love it. I would love to give it a try, AFTER learning the basics...

• Sure can! I'm actually working on one such game right now!

• Oh Elias, I'm far away from beeing able to make it NOW. But I will try...

It would be nice if I could play your game some day...๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

• It was surprisingly easier than I imagined it to be. Since it's all tilebased (the movement as well) it's really easy to predict the position of pretty much every object in the game at all times and that allows for clever level and puzzle design because you have full control, even specifics such as where the player is positioned at any time.

Possibly someday I will release a small demo but as for the near future there's lots of work to be done still.

• Hello

I'm new to construct2 and I'm wondering if its possible to make a game like Prince of Persia 2D, the first DOS version?

Thanks for any answer

Josef

Definitely! Construct 2 is made for such games!

• I love classic Prince of Persia too!

One of the feature of that game, which is rarely seen in most 2D platformers, is how the prince moves when you control him: It has realistic "human-like" animations & has momentum to his running, stopping or turning around etc.

The hard part is how to make all animations "flow" fluidly through your controlling.

With C2's event sheet, I think it's possible to make one. But it needs many animation sprites for every subtle movements, and of course tons of 'events' to make those work.

• 200+ sprites did the original PoP use for the prince, and 23 sprites for any guardian. 8 Guardians and the Jaffar. For the scelleton I don't know. Haven't found the Sprites for it With the Spritesheets and Spriter it's not that hard to make all the sprites.

The tons of events, yeah, I even can't imagine how to start with all that events Long way to learn C2 first.

• allen Since almost all cinematic platformers are grid-based. You lock animations within the timeframe of one step, or of any other motion you want the player to perform. That said it's pretty easy to build you animation system around that idea, whether is climbing, running, crouching, throwing etc. Another important thing is that all animations end on an Idle frame, else it gets a bit jerky.

• First, watch how Prince of Persia was made: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014634/Cl ... -PRINCE-OF

Then, translate that knowledge into Construct 2. It's doable, but it's extremely hard.

• 200+ sprites did the original PoP use for the prince, and 23 sprites for any guardian. 8 Guardians and the Jaffar. For the scelleton I don't know. Haven't found the Sprites for it With the Spritesheets and Spriter it's not that hard to make all the sprites.

The tons of events, yeah, I even can't imagine how to start with all that events Long way to learn C2 first.

if you have the art its easy to program , cause you know how things should look and how they should interacting, its harder to program a game when you have no graphics and have to squueze your brainz out for"i think i remember looking like this" .... happens alot of time even if you have part of animations/sprites/ or engine blocks to play with... the thing is if u dont have ALL sprites dont bother starting programming a game u want to finish... cause its not gonna be finished because u wont know how will look.... so the programming , graphics, audio, stroy etc its all related .. its ok if u have skills in all those areas but u should focus on wich u like and love and maybe find some friends to team up:D the best advice i can give u right now... im a solo dev, doing art,graphic,programming(mostly from tutorials since i dont have no programming school or training outside construct 2 and some similar engines.),about audio i can doodle around and maybe export a wav format out of a mp3 and viceversa but not all the time...

hope your game is gonna be ready soon... dont lose hope ... if u choose doing it yourself and u are young.. you have time ... alot learn now.. dont worry about money... if u arent young anymore then... its kinda hard to do this while u have a dayjob... requires alot of time... seen people selling their homes for it ...

• It is possible. And it's not that hard or difficult. But it requires quite a lot animations and setups.

This is a small part based on my very old project, which was unfortunately dropped because guy responsible for all sprite animations stopped answering to my email without any reason... Yeah don't know why but in game development people I only had problem with were always graphic designers/animators - quite few of them :/

• shinkan That's nice sample you have there, good & snappy

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)