Point'n'click graphic adventure game

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Over 1700 16x16 pixel art RPG icons for item and skills
  • RetroYak

Ho, the update is what you already saw, I uploaded it earlier today. I keep uploading to the same folder, so if you check out the same URL regularly (about once a week, I mostly work during the week end), you should see updates.

Edit: I put the link in my signature

• OlivierC

Thanks that looks great! It's really authentic, like a real Lucasfilm Games adventure from the 90's!

I'm not allowed to post links yet, but change the CAPITALS for the symbols :)

dhughesDOTcoDOTukFORWARDSLASHgodspeedFORWARDSLASH

Here is my space adventure I am working on, this is what I have done so far. (No animations on the character yet). Also please excuse the graphics, I just did them quick so that I could work on it.

I'm having trouble scrolling the stars in the background, does anyone know a good way of doing this? Hoping you can help

:)

• Could I ask how you're going to handle the conversations and the conversation trees?

This looks fantastic by the way - with the portability of Construct2 you should be able to get a lot of people playing this when you're done!

• This thread inspired me to tackle the conversion of my old, abandoned project GOAE (Grand Old Adventure Engine) to HTML5 again.

OlivierC

How do you handle the tooling? Did you write your own, integrated Construct 2 plugins or are you using an external pipeline for stuff like the scene editor?

Personally, I consider combining XUL (my last build used pure Construct 2 HTML5, but that was before I found out about XUL) and Construct 2 generated HTML5 for my pipeline, so I'll be independent from Construct 2 for most of the work.

The one thing I'm struggling with is coming up with a script engine. I'd love to have something with C like syntax.

• Blinx123 : No plugin or external program, I build the scenes in a separate construct2 project. When I run this project in a browser, it builds a big XML string using the scene data, which I then output to a textbox. I can then copy and paste it to an xml file. The actual game imports this XML file and parses it to rebuild the scene.

In all opinion, I don't know if it's worth the trouble. The main reason I did this was for memory management on mobile devices and to no have to edit a bunch of layouts whenever I decide to add or move a layer. But in the end I'm developing everything with only a couple of scenary, so when I finally move onto creating the actual content, the game engine itself is not likely to change much.

Psynaptik

I'm not quiet sure yet, this is the next big step for me, NPCs and dialogs. But I'll probably keep the XML approach, so I can tie it to my scripting system (since some dialog options won't just trigger text but also some actions). The harder part will be to keep track of stuff: Some dialog options are only available after certain actions, other can only happen once... Same goes with objects actually. It will require some kind of database

• I see.

So essentially, you use Construct 2 as a room editor and import all the data to your engine?

I just had a look at my room editor (which, currently, looks really horrible and misses most basic functionality) and, from the looks of it, that XML approach might work for me as well.

AFAIK, Construct 2 can exclude content from JSON/XML. Is that correct? If so, I could probably just exclude all the editor content (movable test character, file menu, etc), apply full transparency to all walk-paths and export the stuff to XML.

How did you define paths, btw? Did you use invisible blocks as well?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Blinx123

I did not use any toJSON or toXML built in function, I generated custom XML from scratch, by just running a big loop in which I concatenate text into a variable. For each element, I export its type (wall, object, door...), position, size, angle and any additional property. Then in the engine part of the game, I do the opposite on start of layout, I load the XML with AJAX and loop through the it and rebuild the elements.

For the path, I just used the built in pathfinding plugin. I just create walls for the areas you can't walk to. The walls are just invisible sprites with the solid behavior.

• Gave up on my idea of using XUL and decided to go with Node-Webkit for this one.

Saw that the Node-Webkit plugin supports child processes ("Run file") now.

I wonder if this would work under Unix, as well. Combining the engine with shell scripts or compiled graphical applications would be straightforward that way.

• Just hit a roadblock.

Created some tidy little scripts to handle stuff like project folder/file creation, SVN updates and commits, spritesheet creation, etc. They work great on their own. Unfortunately, I can't get them bound inside my project.

The Node Webkit "run" command works somewhat decent under Windows, but doesn't really seem to do anything for MacOSX and Linux.

I already simplified the whole process down to a simple shc compiled "mkdir" script, but that one won't execute either. Already tried all sorts of absolute and relative paths.

What exactly does the C2 implementation do differently from the default Node Webkit child_process command?

EDIT: Ok. Build a small application with a textbox and a call to the filemanager and figured the correct pathing this way. Turned out, I also forgot to tell mkdir the directory it was supposed to create a folder in.

• You may find this helpful when doing the conversation/dialogue:

http://www.chatmapper.com/

It exports in XML for import into other programs.

• Wintermute is a great engine. Games like 'The White Chamber really show a unique experience, while 'Limbo of the Lost' makes us want to bleach our eyes.

• Was looking into ideas on how to add some sort of simple scripting system to my engine and stumbled upon the data driven solution outlined here:

https://bitbucket.org/gabomdq/ignifuga- ... at=default

Anyone got an idea on how to implement this? Ideally, there would be a way to have a string that says "Room: <roomname>" and is compared against a global variable that contains the current roomname. The Construct 2 specific code would then only parse the keys belonging to the same roomname.

Unfortunately, I'm not good with multidimensional JSON documents or I would've implemented this by now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)