Logic vs Creativity

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
100 items casual and logic games. All icons are of a high quality.
  • In general, game development requires logic & creativity, but some people don't have much creativity and find it hard to make level design, game art, game-stories , scenarios, etc... on the other hand, other people find it hard to make logic, so they get stuck trying to figure thing out in general logic, game system, learn tutorials, so they take double-take to understand. as conclusion, both shortage in one area will lead delay in time of publishing game and slowing the process of game development. My point is: when there is shortage in either Logic or Creativity, which makes the most weakness point to a developer, that could lead him to get less attention and chances of making a good game?

• The most creative solutions are often logical extrapolations, there's a fair amount of cross over.

• I think it's more of a "writers block" problem, which is usually best solved by moving on to work on another part of your game until your brain is able to spit out ideas again

In general, creativity can feed the logic side or at least come up with different solutions and work-arounds, but equally if you ever need to optimize and make efficient code to get around limitations then logic will definitely help. I find that trying to solve any problem will improve your abilities in both areas though.

• Looking for creativity, makes a game is different.

• Pure logic has its place... they're called coders. A coder can get by just by following the design doc logically, but even there creativity has its place.

The honest truth is this: Without logic, you probably aren't going to make a good game. Logic is vital to a game. Equally, without creativity, at best you'll have a clone, and at worst you'll have a spreadsheet simulator. This applies, of course, to designers who only have logic.

If someone aspires to design games, and has a dearth of creativity or logic, then they should train in that area, or find someone to team up with who shores up that weakness (for it is, indeed a weakness).

• I seem to be stuck coming up with a ton of ideas, but never act on them and put them into games or together.

Does this make me not have logic, or just lazy?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I seem to be stuck coming up with a ton of ideas, but never act on them and put them into games or together.

Does this make me not have logic, or just lazy?

No, that means you need to practice, practice from tutorials or get ideas and try them then if the logic worjs, put it in your game.

Hope it helps!

• Also about logic in creativity. I think lately specially in AAA titles some asset designs are getting quite ridiculous. Sorry about the large images. Which one you think is more suitaple for the job?

I think it adds to immersion if the stuff you see feels even somewhat usefull and realistic.

For game desing aspect you are on the wrong track if you would really but logic and creativity against somehow.

Edit: If you are more interested about the subject here is one video about skyrim weapons.

Also many MMO female "heavy plates". Can you find the weakspot if you have to kill the bitch?

• Katala I think answering your question might derail the conversation and send it in a different direction, but I felt the need to add my two cents.

I think in your example it's a matter of scope. For instance, if I was playing an more fantasy, story driven game I would prefer ax 1 (the black one). It is not realistic and is very flashy. That is kind of the point though. If I were playing such a game, I want to be immersed in the fantasy as much as possible, which would include special weapons and armor that only I could use.

Likewise, if I were playing a game that was a little more dystopian, than I would prefer ax 2. The whole concept of dystopian is a plausible alternate, usually futuristic, universe. I would not want to run into a fight for my life with something that looks like a piece of art meant to be hung on my wall.

Tieing this back to the original conversation, both have their place. As stated, "The most creative solutions are often logical extrapolations...", both axes would be derived from a logical need that makes sense during the creative design process. Of course, the argument for logic I am making is different than what the conversation intended, at the end of the day, logic is logic and practiced in the same fashion but geared towards the problem.

• [quote:3u872tha]I think answering your question might derail the conversation and send it in a different direction, but I felt the need to add my two cents.

I guess what I was trying to say using this axe comparison is that on #1 the creativity has really taken over and the purpose is lost. This is personal opinion but, I think it is ugly as well and if you would really try to use it you would probably just hurt yourself. #2 Is more in balanced on usefulness and creativity and it is simpler as well.

If we would think just code it would be pretty much that when you have a problem you think the most complicated way first and after that realice that you could have made it much simpler and direct way. So if you think logical problem maybe a bit too creative way you might make new problems that you have to solve as well. I do this quite often on debuggin for example. Sometimes I start to look the problem from the most improbable place and later find out that it was just a small typo.

Don't know if this makes any sense to anyone anymore but, if you have a nail you have to pound it would recuire both creativity and logic to use a hammer or some type of tool instead of a barehand.

Or I could just agreed with this. That vs on the title was maybe a bit confusing.

[quote:3u872tha]The most creative solutions are often logical extrapolations, there's a fair amount of cross over.

• Katala I get where you are coming from. I believe in during complicated solutions a person has to employ a sort of creativity to solving an issue.

Let's say, for example, we both have to move a gallon of water from a stream to 20 feet away up hill to our kitchen sink. We have no tools available besides a few pieces of 2x4 boards, a bucket, 10 feet worth of gutter, a roll of electrical tape, and a tea cup. You have to move the water as quickly as possible. How would you do it?

I'm sure both of us might come up with different solutions. It's no different in the way we create our solutions for our games. Extremely simple problems will often have the same solutions, such as depleting health from an enemy. Creating a path finding solution or randomly generating a level will vary massively.

With that said, the process you describe isn't abnormal. I think we all go through a process where we create a solution, review, tweak it, and fix it. It's part of the creative and problem solving process. Frankly, I've found it's often the quickest and best way to solve problems.

• For me, loss of creativity is a bigger problem.

I somehow try to figure it if its about logİc, i ask for help and learn other peoples opinion.

But when it comes to creativity im just stuck and find myself in a bigger problem

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)