Integration with Photon Cloud: Multiplayer

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
This is a simple login feature to access Metamask in construct 3. Requires a Chrome Browser and Metamask Extension.
  • Excal

... Suppose I am working on a single-player game, and intend to add a multiplayer portion later ...

Hmmm. You need to tell me more about how this two-portion game works.

... Also, how does your plugin differ from the Photon Cloud service? I see others in this thread trying to set up their own servers or get a server with a webhost in order to 'serve' multiplayer. The Photon Cloud service provides this as part of its plans, doesn't it?My PhotonClient behavior enables a C2 game to become a client for the Photon Cloud server.

As explained in my post of 2 Apr 2013 5:24am, there are two servers involved when you're using the Photon Cloud:

1) A HTTP server to deliver the web page that allows (multi)players to access the game itself - just like any C2 game you make, when you export your project to a HTML5 website.

2) The Photon Cloud server which handles the interactions between the players - it saves you having to create a game server to do that.

• Thank you for the clarification. I intend to ship an iOS game, so I'm a little confused as to what HTTP server I will be using or have access to, or if it's needed at all.

The game I am making is a space shooter, but if I understand correctly, the plugin simply allows another user to join in the current game. I don't intend for this to be possible in the single-player campaign (no co-op mode). The only time the player will interact with other players will be in multiplayer mode, and that will be its own section.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Excal

I intend to ship an iOS game, so I'm a little confused as to what HTTP server I will be using or have access to, or if it's needed at all.

No, in that case, it's not needed. My PhotonClient behavior's only been tested in a web browser environment, and I'd be very interested to know how it goes in an iOS game (or Android, or Windows Phone, or Symbian, or ...).

The game I am making is a space shooter, but if I understand correctly, the plugin simply allows another user to join in the current game. I don't intend for this to be possible in the single-player campaign (no co-op mode). The only time the player will interact with other players will be in multiplayer mode, and that will be its own section.OK, we can really regard this as two separate games and you'd only need to incorporate my PhotonClient behavior when you get to implementing the multiplayer section/game.

• Thank you for the clarification!

I get to be the test pilot for your plugin's iOS capability? D:

Has anyone else ever made a multiplayer-capable iOS game with C2? I'm curious as to what tried and true options there are.

• When there will be support with the java-sdk, switching to udp in photon cloud, would it be possible then, using the platform behavior? Or integrate multiple controls in the photon behavior?

Everything related to movement will send unreliable packets, everything else then tcp or reliable udp?

If yes, will it be in near future?

• zyblade

Those are questions for the ExitGames/Photon team, who seem to be tied up with other matters at the moment.

bertelmonster2k is the CTO/founder, and was last here in January.

If a choice of TCP/UDP is eventually available via the JavaScript SDK, it'd certainly be possible for me to make the same choice available in my PhotonClient behavior.

• Is there any way to integrate the construct 2 clay.io plugin's multiplayer lobby feature with this photon plugin?

• Is there any way to integrate the construct 2 clay.io plugin's multiplayer lobby feature with this photon plugin?Probably needs the clay.io plugin developer to take a look at how the integration might be managed.

• Aaah what a pity, bertel2k wasn't online since 3 month :/

You said, if the javascript sdk supports udp/tcp choice....

It does mean when ashley etc would implement this feature in the C2 java sdk, the photon client already could track the players position smooth like in the platform behavior?

• You said, if the javascript sdk supports udp/tcp choice....

It does mean when ashley etc would implement this feature in the C2 java sdk, the photon client already could track the players position smooth like in the platform behavior?It'd require some tweaking in my PhotonClient behavior.

• Ashley , would it be time consuming/complicated, implementing such a feature to the java sdk in C2?

• Velojet

Okay I contacted Austin from clay.io about integrating the clay.io plugin's multiplayer lobby feature with your photon plugin. He told me that if enough people want it, he will do it. This could make a real commercial quality multiplayer system for construct 2, it could end up being an amazingly easy way to create real multiplayer games with lobbies.

So if you guys want it to happen please reply saying you support it.

• This would be most appreciated. Anything to take these technologies from 'hobbyist' to 'commercial/production useable' is great.

• Velojet

Okay I contacted Austin from clay.io about integrating the clay.io plugin's multiplayer lobby feature with your photon plugin. He told me that if enough people want it, he will do it. This could make a real commercial quality multiplayer system for construct 2, it could end up being an amazingly easy way to create real multiplayer games with lobbies.

So if you guys want it to happen please reply saying you support it.

This sounds pretty amazing.

• Okay I contacted Austin from clay.io about integrating the clay.io plugin's multiplayer lobby feature with your photon plugin. He told me that if enough people want it, he will do it. ... So if you guys want it to happen please reply saying you support it.SpacialPumpkin

Thanks for following up so proactively on this one! I'd like to have more feedback from people who've made a game using my PhotonClient behavior before working on my side of the Clay.io integration.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)