Game using wikipedia

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • Hey, this is a game idea where you have to solve mysteries using the internet (or books) to solve it. (I'm thinking of a brower game)

I already know some games using sounds or other secrets but what I'm talking about is something like uncharted/indiana jones/tomb raider where you play as an adventurer and you encounter mysteries like a drawing, a location, a puzzle.

For example:

You find something talking about "The pyramid of the magician" you have to enter a text about "The creators".

If you search about this pyramid on wikipedia you find that it was made by the Maya. You enter the text "Maya" then something happens.

It's a simple example but it's to show you how it could work. It could use wikipedia or the game could have a fake wiki for the player to search.

Tell me what you think of it and I would like to know if someone knows a game like this. (Adventurer game where you have to find the solutions outside of the game)

• Hey, this is a game idea where you have to solve mysteries using the internet (or books) to solve it. (I'm thinking of a brower game)

I already know some games using sounds or other secrets but what I'm talking about is something like uncharted/indiana jones/tomb raider where you play as an adventurer and you encounter mysteries like a drawing, a location, a puzzle.

For example:

You find something talking about "The pyramid of the magician" you have to enter a text about "The creators".

If you search about this pyramid on wikipedia you find that it was made by the Maya. You enter the text "Maya" then something happens.

It's a simple example but it's to show you how it could work. It could use wikipedia or the game could have a fake wiki for the player to search.

Tell me what you think of it and I would like to know if someone knows a game like this. (Adventurer game where you have to find the solutions outside of the game)

Hey bro, I have been testing things alike to this months ago. I had a project based on guessing historical characters through puzzlin or riddles using wikipedia.

You can use Iframe plugin which allows you to place a website window inside your project. Tha far I reached was having wikipedia button in my project which linked to anothe screen of the game (another layout or layer) an be able to use it only for instant research ingame.

I hope I could help you

• Thanks eveloid for your input, I was looking more for feedback about the concept. I guess the conclusion is that you shouldn't expect too much work from the player, it could be a niche game for people who likes to spend time searching for clues or people who really likes history/geography. (Or it can be used for educational games)

If you had to read a read book to finish uncharted it would be a different game.

• Thanks eveloid for your input, I was looking more for feedback about the concept. I guess the conclusion is that you shouldn't expect too much work from the player, it could be a niche game for people who likes to spend time searching for clues or people who really likes history/geography. (Or it can be used for educational games)

If you had to read a read book to finish uncharted it would be a different game.

An example.. Take a distorted picture of an historical character , for instance Platon.. Then create a riddle in order to guess it. You can give some related clues to search on wikipedia (integrating wikipedia tool with Iframe plugin) a specific word to seach, or a theme.. Whatever.. The thing here is to think of the mechanic..

• What I mean is.. With Iframe you can use wikipedia as a tool integrated in a layout, under a button action or whatever..

As an example.. The game geopolitical simulator 4 uses wikipedia as a tool. When you are about to add a new law or change a specific.. The game gives you the option to search for that concept on wikipedia as a tool in order to know more about it

• What I mean is.. With Iframe you can use wikipedia as a tool integrated in a layout, under a button action or whatever..

As an example.. The game geopolitical simulator 4 uses wikipedia as a tool. When you are about to add a new law or change a specific.. The game gives you the option to search for that concept on wikipedia as a tool in order to know more about it

Cool, I quickly searched for info, pics or videos showing the use of wikipedia in this game but I didn't find any.

I won't use wikipedia in a game for now, thanks anyway.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just in case it helps you, this sounds to me to an Alternate Reality Game (ARG).

I am not able to give you game examples, but Wikipedia could be a good start:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)