Copyright characters in Anime / Cartoon ?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
This music pack covers differents situations for visual novels, anime games and many more!
  • Can I draw characters like in anime or cartoon characters and use it in my game ? Example Doraemon characters ? Or any ways to use them in my projects ? Somebody helps please Thank for any advices.

• Basically:

If character is copyrighted it means you can't copy it unless you have permission from the person holding that copyright.

• Basically:

If character is copyrighted it means you can't copy it unless you have permission from the person holding that copyright.

From a UK, and possibly also USA, law standpoint this is pretty much spot on.

People have a misconception that as long as they are not charging anything or making any money then it is not illegal to use copyrighted assets. That is not true, even if you refuse all money you can still be issued with an order for violating copyright.

On the up-side you are free to use any copyrighted material as long as it is for non-commercial educational reasons. So using other peoples characters and art is completely fine if you are just using it to teach yourself how to program.

So basically qngnht it looks like you are free to use those anime characters as long as it is just for yourself.

• It all comes down to profiting and who does it belong to. You can definitely use those characters if you're making a fan game and you're doing it to learn. Is pretty unlikely that your first projects will reach a point that anyone who doesn't want you using those sprites will see it.

So if you're using it to learn more about game dev and have more fun in what you make then go ahead.

• , ditto. Plus, if you do wind up creating something that's actually fun and well build, there is no reason why you can't simply change up all the derivative content and then release the game to the public. : )

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • , ditto. Plus, if you do wind up creating something that's actually fun and well build, there is no reason why you can't simply change up all the derivative content and then release the game to the public. : )

Exactly, we all have to start somewhere

Also hey there long time no see!

• Thank guys

• Yeah you can draw characters in anime but make sure that the character is not copyrighted else you can face some issues. You can just get some ideas from copyrighted characters and then make something of your own. I recommend you to get ideas from movies so I always found them fun and inspirational.

• Thanks guys . I learned Blender to build my 3D characters. It took me a couple months to do it, but it worths ^ ^

• While characters themselves are copyrighted, you can probably get away with making characters that are identical to your favorite ones;

You can't really copyright round faces, small legs and other such features; however, depending on the artist (or possibly the artist's agent) if they see a specific combination of features resulting in having your character a little too similar to theirs, you might get in trouble.

• Thank MPPlantOfficial I'm used to look on 2D preference characters, then draw it become to my 3D characters. In facts, It always look different from the original ^ ^. And I never use famous characters model and use free images as possible

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)