Can C2 make a text-entry education game using columns, rows?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • Thanks in advance.

Is Construct 2 good for making this educational game idea? All the tutorials seem more complex and poorly related to my simple idea. I know C2 is supposed to be very simple but if my idea needs to stray very far at all from drag/drop, I probably do not have the aptitude. I did okay with HTML but failed horribly with every attempt to learn programming. I just do not have the aptitude for programming.

Game requirements:

1. Display an empty table with eight columns and eight rows.

2. User is prompted to enter text in a table cells. If entry is correct audio is played. If incorrect, error message is displayed. More prompts, more cell entry.

3. After user enters all table cells correctly, user has option to touch cells to hear audio from any cell individually or hear audio from multiple cells touched simultaneously.

4. User is prompted to advance/turn page and the above process is repeated and validated with different text. After each new page/table is complete user advances until all pages are complete.

5. Once user has entered all tables/pages correctly user is presented with rules to memorize, one at a time.

6. User then has option to be quizzed on the table-entry or memorized rules or both.

Questions:

1. Is C2 good for making this educational game idea?

2. Do I need to create the tables using HTML or do they already exist in C2?

3. How then is validation accomplished (correct/incorrect cell entry/error message)?

4. Do I need to create slightly different versions since smartphone uses touchscreen but native app uses mouse/keyboard?

5. Do tutorials exist for any of these questions?

Thanks again.

• I don't see why C2 couldn't do it. Now doing it with only drag and drop all the stuff you need that'd be no. But also C2 you don't write the code yourself. You use Events that mimic coding essentially. So all you have to do is work out your Events and the Layouts. They have a TextBox Object that you can use to allow people to type into the box. Arrange them into 8x8 on the Layout field if you want. And then have Text elements that display words for them to type into. Can save the words into an 8x8 Array for the quizzes to read from for answers and for on the setting up when they fill them out.

Validation you just make an event that checks the Array with the Entry. Then have it display Correct or play the sound.

You can have all the controls you want in the thing. Like I just posted a Battle system starting basics for an RPG I'm making and it allows inputs from Keyboard, Mouse, Gamepad, and Touch.

Do tutorials exist I'm not sure on that one because I didn't look. I'm not much into making education games. But visit the https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/top and look around there's a lot of them that can teach you things to do and methods to do them.

• Thanks daehawk. Your response provided me with enough direction to get a small start on testing the concept. I had been through the first dozen or so pages of the tutorials but they were all so alien to the core of my simple project, again, your advise helped.

Thanks again

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • daehawk, what would be your advice, i'm trying to do something like this, only that my table is going to be dynamic, it depends on somethings the user must i've input before, such that now i might have t ocreat a 5x8 table and later, 20 x10. Also, because of how the size would vary, i might need to be able to scroll the layout vertically and horizontally, incase number of boxes created spills over the layout size. Any help on this?

I don't see why C2 couldn't do it. Now doing it with only drag and drop all the stuff you need that'd be no. But also C2 you don't write the code yourself. You use Events that mimic coding essentially. So all you have to do is work out your Events and the Layouts. They have a TextBox Object that you can use to allow people to type into the box. Arrange them into 8x8 on the Layout field if you want. And then have Text elements that display words for them to type into. Can save the words into an 8x8 Array for the quizzes to read from for answers and for on the setting up when they fill them out.

Validation you just make an event that checks the Array with the Entry. Then have it display Correct or play the sound.

You can have all the controls you want in the thing. Like I just posted a Battle system starting basics for an RPG I'm making and it allows inputs from Keyboard, Mouse, Gamepad, and Touch.

Do tutorials exist I'm not sure on that one because I didn't look. I'm not much into making education games. But visit the https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/top and look around there's a lot of them that can teach you things to do and methods to do them.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)