Best approach to working with/hiring someone for your project?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Best car suspension with spring effect and very cool terrain generation.
  • Hey everyone. I'm working on a game that I've decided to try and make my first commercial game. Normally I do everything myself but if I want to sell it, I can't do it with programmer art. I'm not sure how to go about this, so I'm looking for experiences from other people.

At the moment I see 2 options:

1. 1) Finish the game, then hire artist
    2. 2) Get someone on board and include them in the progress while the game organically evolves

Option 1 isn't that flexible. I'm still learning how to plan out a game entirely so I will constantly be adding/removing things depending on ideas and feedback.

Option 2 makes sense but I'm not sure how I would get someone to keep doing stuff if there's a break in development here or there.

So yeah, anyone else have experience with this?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It really depends on the game and at the stage where you are at now.

For example if you are in early or late stage of a matching 3 game, then it's ok to wait to hire someone at the end of the process, as long as you know a little bit about art and how to implement it. So for the programming part you should know that a 32x32 sprite is more efficient than a 34x34 one and therefore you will need to set your game for optmisation and pass the same info to the artist at the end.

If you are planning to develop an RPG, well you might want to contact one artist during development because while you can add lots of arts and animation at high definition pixel art, the artist can't produce so much quantity of art in short time and for cheap. The artist might even not accept the work because too big and long. In this case you might want to have someone to get on board so you can compromise the game with the art considering programming limitation and art time and cost.

• My advice is to get all the things YOU CAN DO done. Whether thats levels, coding that isn't too advance for you to do, designs, characters, etc etc. THEN I would look for advice of someone with more experience then you to help you on your project. If your just starting out or too early of development, then it would be hard to find someone to work with you because that's a big burden and a huge load to take on and try to figure out your game. So the best thing is to get what you can get done to the best of your ability and after you got things finish, that you know for sure that is set for your game, then look for that help and guidance to help you finish what you couldn't do on your own. It's about knowing exactly what you want first in your game and doing it to the best of your ability if your able.

• Hi there!

How's your "quest" for developing games?

Have you found someone already?... I looking for anybody to share a project or work with. Even if it's just for the fun of it.

construct.net/en/free-online-games/knight-valour-33197/play

Just made this, work in progress, but don't have the full time to work on it.

If I'm scratching my head to learn the "Code" I loose a lot of time that I could spend in pixel art!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)