Background Designs

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
40 ambient sound loops. A wide selection of looping ambient sounds for different locations.
  • I am currently attempting to make a basic top down shooter, with my own artwork. But I am having trouble with the artwork bit.

So I was just wondering if anyone could share what programs they use for background artwork, or if there is any tutorials out there that could help me or anyone else facing the same dilemma.

• Inkscape's a good free Vector art package to use, especially if you struggle with that whole 'drawing' side of things (as it's basically thinking in shapes, then adapting them to fit your requirements).

Currently I'm using Inkpad on the ipad to do most of my character designs (and will be starting on backgrounds soon), as it only cost �2.99 and it feels good to work with my fingers rather than a clunky old mouse.

• Thank you for your reply Dave.

I have just started using InkScape, really great program. Hopefully I can pull out some better art work.

I was trying for kind of realistic look, but it's much easier for the cartoon look, plus in the end it really looks better.

• You'll need experience , a lot of it

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Experience comes through practice and experimentation, so go crazy! Although Inkscape can be a bit tricky at first, once you've got the hang of molding the shapes (usually a simple circle's a good starting point)into something that works I'm sure you'll be fine.

Also there's some terrific filters that come with the package which can give the artwork an interesting makeover.

Anyway, Crazdd, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

• By the way, there's some very useful vector art/Inkscape tutorials on this site, if you haven't visited it before: 2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.co.uk

• Dave Hailwood

thanks for the useful link

• Thanks heaps for the link Dave, that's very helpful.

Hopefully I can get myself to find the effort/time to create some art, I just find it difficult to get myself to learn how to use new programs. :P But I'll get there.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)