I?m doing some research on what indie and individual developers are looking for when it comes to audio solutions, particularly for mobile platforms when developing their games and apps.
Long term my hope is to help small developers and individuals with tight budgets overcome some of their common issues, by offering up some simple solutions, so any answers you give will hopefully result in improving the ease of sourcing your sound in the future :)
There are a lot of free sound effects websites out there at the moment, as well as some pay for packs available too but it seems people often struggle to find these sites.
There?s also work involved in designing suitable sounds from the raw effects once you do find them and the extra process of getting the edited sounds into the correct formats for the platform and mastering them.
I have a few questions and if you can offer any answers then I?d be grateful.
1. What are the issues you most often encounter when trying to develop sound effects for your projects?
2. What formats do you use for your sounds when you get them ready for implementation? (mp3, wav, aif etc.)
3. What types of sound effects do you often struggle with the most? This is a vague question so any answers welcome but by this I mean are there any sounds where you specifically struggle to find source material? In addition to this, are there any particular sounds you struggle to put together from available materials online?
4. If you had the funds or connections to hire a sound designer to do the audio work for you and offer you a complete solution, what would you ask of them?
5. If you?ve developed multiple projects, are there any specific sound effects out there that you find yourself commonly requiring?
6. What issues do you commonly encounter regarding music for your projects?
Any other feedback no matter how small is very welcome; if you can think of any area relating to the audio for your games and apps that you?ve had issues with in the past then please post it up :)
Thanks in advance!