What license to choose for sharing source?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
A space themed game with high quality 2D graphics and addictive music that provide hours of fun
  • Hi all!

I'm thinking about selling source files, not only Construct 2 project files but also others and I have a difficult time to pick a license and I would like to ask for some opinion and suggestion.

What I would like to do is allow to use the source for any purposes but do not allow it to be shared, redistributed with or without any modifications.

I was looking through source code licenses but to be honest in most cases (maybe also because my english is not very good) I'm not certain what the license allow or don't allow exactly.

For example I was looking at Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivatives 4.0 International license:

creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/4.0

But what I don't like about the license is that the short human-readable version suggests:

[quote:19yok5y3]you can share and redistribute the material as long you give appropriate credit and don't share or redistribute the material with any modification.

But this is exactly what I don't want to allow. I know the long and dry legal version may don't allow to share or redistribute the material in any way and form but I want a license that is get to the point and easy to understand for everyone.

As an alternative I was considering to copy the Games with Source license from the Scirra Store and use that.

It is sounds exactly what I want but I'm not sure if including this text as-is in a text file would be enough.

I would appreciate any suggestion and opinion on this.

Thanks.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I come to the decision I would like to use the license from the Scirra Store, but I'm wondering if that's even possible or not.

I mean it is not a "public license", it might be the property of Scirra and I'm not allowed to use it like copy and paste the text am I?

• ddabrahim

You are probably best emailing and discussing your request/requirements with an employee of Scirra. Forum users are not really in a position to answer such questions.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)