Platform2 [behavior]

0 favourites
  • Zebbi,

That wall jump mechanic you have is excellent and I couldn't really improve on it.

I'm not sure what you were trying to do for wall-hang and move, but you need to set Solid2 to Type: "Wall hang" in the properties window. Wall hang then happens on wall collision if a control input is selected to move towards the wall.

Regarding improving the wall hang - are you asking for a wall-slide velocity option (so the player can slide down the wall) and/or for the x velocity to be set away from the wall with a wall jump?

Very kind of you to say that, thank you! Yes, my wall-slide example is identical to how Platform+ worked, and several other wall-slide methods I've used, whereby you have a slide down when you press the key against the wall, and then you can just away from the wall with that brief inverted key direction, before the player comes back into the wall. If there is any way of you implementing what I've done with events directly in the code for a built-in wall slide/wall jump mechanic, it would be a massive help and ensure a really solid, bug-free movement (and a perfect drop-in replacement for anyone using Platform+)

• Zebbi,

I'll see what I can do. The trick will be to implement it without breaking the current plugin... I doubt I'll get it done today - if I don't then it might take me a couple of weeks to set it up (due to work).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Zebbi,

I'll see what I can do. The trick will be to implement it without breaking the current plugin... I doubt I'll get it done today - if I don't then it might take me a couple of weeks to set it up (due to work).

Colludium that would be incredible if possible! One quick question in the meantime, I'm still porting my old events from platform+ over, and I've come across a snag. Platform+ has "ignore input" which is also present on 8-direction built-in movement, and I believe standard platform built-in. It's just a really easy way of not listening to any inputs without having to add in lots of other bools or whatever in the events. It's not the same as enable/disable, since it still functions as a platform movement (falls, jumps, elevators and such will still complete and work). Would it be possible to add this to Platform2 so I can continue seamlessly converting my events over? So far I've managed to do almost all of it seamlessly, it's just a little difficult now without ignore input ;)

• Platform+ has "ignore input" ..... Would it be possible to add this to Platform2...

Sure :)

• Would "Additional X velocity" and "additional Y velocity" be possible? This would be perfect for adding wind from any direction and of any speed to games, or a very easy way to handle conveyor belts.

Also the ability to "Trigger a jump" at any time, not just when on the ground would be fantastic! This would obliterate any current Y velocity and trigger a jump... maybe even let us set the jump strength within the action to either the default jump strength or a custom amount. This would allow for super easy implementation of double-jumps, triple-jumps, or even swimming like in Mario or flying like in Joust.

• Would "Additional X velocity" and "additional Y velocity" be possible? This would be perfect for adding wind from any direction and of any speed to games, or a very easy way to handle conveyor belts.

Also the ability to "Trigger a jump" at any time, not just when on the ground would be fantastic! This would obliterate any current Y velocity and trigger a jump... maybe even let us set the jump strength within the action to either the default jump strength or a custom amount. This would allow for super easy implementation of double-jumps, triple-jumps, or even swimming like in Mario or flying like in Joust.

I think you can trigger a jump using Control Input > Jump? I had a little trouble using it for the wall-jumps, so I used velocity Y, but I wasn't sure if it was my events or an issue with jump?

• - some good ideas there - I've just updated the plugin to enable wall slide/jumping and I'll work on your ideas over the next few days.

v3.1 submitted for approval:

Added Actions:

Set wall mode (hang/slide)

Set slide velocity

Set wall jump x velocity

Set pixel accuracy (default 24, min 8) to give option to reduce collision checks at cost of alignment accuracy

Set enable/disable control input

Added Condition

Input controls are enabled

• Colludium I've made an example using different accel/decel speeds when at full movement: dropbox.com/s/d7q9h64pnoheybk/walljumpaccdec.capx - Platform+ and quite a few platformers seem to use this approach, particularly Jazz Jackrabbit; he takes a while to accelerate, but once up to speed, he can turn almost instantly. Do you have any plans on adding a variable acceleration and deceleration speed depending on the current movement speed? Again, I haven't tested this enough to say if it's a solid enough event set, but it would be handy to have built into Platform2. My example is matched to Platform+'s built-in method.

• I think you can trigger a jump using Control Input > Jump? I had a little trouble using it for the wall-jumps, so I used velocity Y, but I wasn't sure if it was my events or an issue with jump?

No, the jump trigger only works of the player is on the floor, nothing happens if they are in the air. I know, I was surprised too.

• > I think you can trigger a jump using Control Input > Jump? I had a little trouble using it for the wall-jumps, so I used velocity Y, but I wasn't sure if it was my events or an issue with jump?

No, the jump trigger only works of the player is on the floor, nothing happens if they are in the air. I know, I was surprised too.

Hi Brashmonkey. I just tested it and the jump trigger works if you're on the floor and when you air jump or jump off a wall. If it's not working for you then let me know and I'll see how I can help. Please update to v3.1 when it's approved just to make sure.

• Zebbi,

I'll have a look into that. You could also do it easily via events, I guess:

VelocityX = 0 for > 0.5 sec, set accel/decel to normal values

abs(VelocityX) > cut-off value, set accel/decel to super-human

• > > I think you can trigger a jump using Control Input > Jump? I had a little trouble using it for the wall-jumps, so I used velocity Y, but I wasn't sure if it was my events or an issue with jump?

>

> No, the jump trigger only works of the player is on the floor, nothing happens if they are in the air. I know, I was surprised too.

Hi Brashmonkey. I just tested it and the jump trigger works if you're on the floor and when you air jump or jump off a wall. If it's not working for you then let me know and I'll see how I can help. Please update to v3.1 when it's approved just to make sure.

I was referring to the official Scirra platform behavior and not yours. I've not tested yours yet.

• - ah, apologies!

• Zebbi,

I'll have a look into that. You could also do it easily via events, I guess:

VelocityX = 0 for > 0.5 sec, set accel/decel to normal values

abs(VelocityX) > cut-off value, set accel/decel to super-human

Hmm, not so sure about using fixed time for it, since we're trying to keep momentum if the opposite key to the direction travelling is pressed quickly before the player has decelerated entirely to a stop so as to not have such a floaty/drifty turn (it's the same for air and ground). Check my example: construct.net/out - I test entirely if the speed is above the point where, if the speed is any lower, the acceleration speed doesn't matter, the player is already nearly stopped. Here's a video of it: gfycat.com/MedicalLastingKingsnake - the differences are because of the video capture messes up Platform+, but in realtime, those are matched almost perfectly.

• Zebbi,

Maybe I misunderstood. Here's a capx to demonstrate how I mean to use the Wait action:

rapid_heading_change.capx

Hope this helps.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)