This is in response to this thread.
I know it looks a little stretchy and sloppy, but it's just a proof of concept, and represents only an hour's work in total. With some tweaking and proper texture creation you could make some really good looking maps.
Here's how I did it...
First, I made my level with some tiles:
I took a couple of screenshots of the layout so I could have some reference images. Then I opened up the Mesh Editor tool that comes with v0.99.
I added the screenshots to the mesh editor on the lower layer so I could line up my mesh properly, like so:
It's better to use the Load Image button in the Mesh Editor itself, that way your mesh will be properly sized for the sprite when you export it. If you edit the teapot sprite in the .cap to use the sprite you're making the mesh for, then your mesh will be the wrong size. I learned that the hard way, after making the top peninsula part (you can see it's not aligned pixel-perfect like the lower ground area if you run it with the background tiles visible).
After editing the mesh I saved the mesh file and loaded it into my level. I did have to place the sprites by hand to line them up correctly, but I'm sure someone will think of some clever way to automate that process.
Also, I believe you could probably conserve VRAM by using instances of the same sprite and assigning different meshes to each instance based on a private variable.