3d wolfenstein-ish engine

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Run and Jump in 3 Dimensions! Take your platformer to the next level!
  • I edited it so that it uses WASD to move (strafing) but I can't figure out how to do mouse aiming (currently uses left and right arrow keys to aim). I was trying to make it where the old MouseX is subtracted from the current MouseX but that stops working when the mouse reaches the edge of the screen. Can anyone help with this?

Offtopic: It seems you can only move the cursor relative to the screen instead of the application? (Try moving the mouse to the X of DisplayWidth/2 and Y of DisplayHeight/2 and notice it is not the center of the application, but the position on the screen of the same X, Y)

• I tracked this old post of mine down, it seems somewhat relevant now...

Would it be possible to make a new 3D Sprite object? It would function the same as a 3D Box, but it would have only one face. Instead of texture properties it could use the animator bar the way a sprite does. Since it would have a z property it would render correctly in relation to other 3D Boxes or sprites, but it would otherwise behave like a regular sprite.

With this you could easily make a full Wolfenstein clone with this demo. This post is from a year ago... perhaps it's time has come?

• Whoa, and here I thought making an FPS in Construct would be impossible. Now we have to figure out how to make the player look up and down.

I edited it so that it uses WASD to move (strafing) but I can't figure out how to do mouse aiming (currently uses left and right arrow keys to aim). I was trying to make it where the old MouseX is subtracted from the current MouseX but that stops working when the mouse reaches the edge of the screen. Can anyone help with this?

You can make it so that the mouse cursor is the aiming reticle of the gun; and whenever the cursor moves close to the edge of the screen, the player turns. That's how it was done in Operation Flashpoint and ArmA. I don't know why they did it like that, but I wasn't comfortable with it and changed it to be like other FPSs.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • got mouse aiming working (along x axis).

edit: i might be able to improve on this so that mouse clicks would be useful in windowed mode.

• Making it full screen like, I dunno... every other FPS game on the market... would fix the problem of the mouse focus.

~Sol

• Making it full screen like, I dunno... every other FPS game on the market... would fix the problem of the mouse focus.

~Sol

well of course, but that's not really a solution to the problem -- merely a way to avoid the problem.

• Wow... with strafing and mouse aim... that's like a real FPS! Amazing stuff! Have... ten bonus points...

You could keep the mouse inside the window by wrapping it when it gets to the edge of the window - not the edge of the screen.

• Wow... with strafing and mouse aim... that's like a real FPS! Amazing stuff! Have... ten bonus points...

You could keep the mouse inside the window by wrapping it when it gets to the edge of the window - not the edge of the screen.

yeah i was trying to see how that'd be possible...

edit: ah, the window object seems to be my golden ticket. will have new .cap when i finish

• version 2 of mouselook -- now you can assign something like shoot to a mouse click without trouble (i demonstrate this with a muzzle flash).

couple of things though --

i'd like the devs to add condition "compare mouseX" -- to get around this, i set a global variable to mouseX and compared that, but it seems like that should be unnecessary.

the only way i found to find the edge of the window was to use the window object, and i found that it included the border of the window.. which made things a tad more complicated. i wish it was easier to just find the edge of the gameplay area.

it's not perfect -- you can break it if you move the mouse extremely fast, but i'm not sure it's possible to fix that -- even great retail games like counter-strike suffer from this

edit: also, when i set mouseY to the same value every tick, it seems to cause some problems when moving the mouse right.

updated it with a more complicated way to restrict the mouseY that doesn't give you choppy movement at slow speeds. re-upped the choppy version with a comment. slowly move the mouse right to see the difference.

• [quote:2ob644xv]i'd like the devs to add condition "compare mouseX"

dfyb that mouse thing can be done by going to the system object's conditions, you'll find "compare" at the bottom. Then enter "MouseX" in the top value and what ever else you want to compare it to.

Personally I prefer the method where the mouse is always set to the center of the screen, then you compare how much it moves away from the center.

• the only way i found to find the edge of the window was to use the window object, and i found that it included the border of the window.. which made things a tad more complicated. i wish it was easier to just find the edge of the gameplay area.

You want the client X/Y, not the window X/Y.

• Thanks for the help Dfyb, Mind if I use that (or modified version of) code in my own game?

• Thanks for the help Dfyb, Mind if I use that (or modified version of) code in my own game?

you can definitely use it -- if i release a .cap, it's free game

• AWSOME! Really cool!

Since i haven't looked through the code i don't really know how this works, but would it be possible to add jumping?

• AWSOME! Really cool!

Since i haven't looked through the code i don't really know how this works, but would it be possible to add jumping?

Thats sort of like going from Wolfenstien to Doom

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)