The Weather

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Weather Sounds contains 132 sounds from them 64 seamless loops
  • Still in pretty early dev, but the basic gameplay is laid out. Just needa start working on levels.

Tiny-little-small-demo thing is here:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1335444/weather.exe

I'll get some screenshots and such up when I have more of the game done.

BUT: I did want to show off what I did with the lightning in the game, 'cus I'm proud of that. So just check out the demo, and tell me what you think.

• thats pretty cool actually

• Heh in true loki style

I love it. I like the rain droplets how they smash up when they hit stuff... and the cloud loks so cool. I love how you mix retro graphics with a new-age style to the animation and effects. The lighting is also very cool but something as simple as the rain was more impressive to me.

Nice work man, can't wait to see more.

Also, this game must be impossible, like all your other ones xD

~Sol

• Haha, thanks. Although the rain took about 5 minutes to implement and the lightning took a few hours. xP

I'm planning on making this one much more full featured then my previous games; with basic things like level select screens and saving in between plays and stuff. Very basic, but none of my other games have had those things.

Also looking into a local multiplayer mode, not just because it'd be fun, but it would actually work with the theme, which you will find out more about when I'm done.

• howd you do the lightning? i assume random offsetting of a lerp from cloud to strike point at intervals, thats how i had done it for static scrubber

• Just created a line with its start point set at a cloud and the end point set a random point below it, within limits. Then I keep creating them until there within the Y range of the lightning rod, and it sets the end point to that and deletes the chain. It actually works pretty well for lightning, as all the segments of the chain aren't created at exactly the same time, just very close, it gives the effect that its actually striking and not just appearing.

• It's like really short.

But the game seems awesome.

• Yeah, them demo's short, I haven't start designing levels yet, really. Just trying to get all the gameplay elements in place first.

• SPAM REMOVED

I hear spam a good way to get started, too

• > SPAM REMOVED

>

I hear spam a good way to get started, too

Please don't feed the spammers

• Alright, a little bit of news.

I've started level design, and made some gamplay decisions concerning lightning. I've made the lightning waves on the metal plates independent from the lightning chains for a few reasons. First is that the lightning was somewhat inconsistent, and this led for the lightning waves to be sent out semi-randomly, even when I put the lightning on a set timer. As far as I know, having random variables affect player performance is bad game design, so I set the lightning rods on their own timer from the lightning strikes. I was also getting frequent instances of the last chain of the lightning not hitting the rod, and it didn't look very good. Now the lightning just goes at random intervals and ends when its off-screen.

The other reason is that the lightning becomes quite eye straining if it happens to frequently. This worked fine in the little demo, when the lightning had a long interval in between each strike, but if the lightning rods were connected to the lightning, if I wanted to have the waves sent out in rapid succession, the lightning would become very annoying very fast.

I really did like the lightning the way it was, but its really not practical gameplay wise. Though the lightning rods don't make quite as much sense now, it doesn't matter much 'cus its just a game. And I think the actually gameplay will benefit from this in the end.

• love it. I like the rain droplets how they smash up when they hit stuff... and the cloud loks so cool. I love how you mix retro graphics with a new-age style to the animation and effects. The lighting is also very cool but something as simple as the rain was more impressive to me.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Theres a new demo on the GameJolt page with a little bit more gameplay.

Also, the game is just called "The Weather" for now.

Link: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/plat ... ather/810/

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)