Top-Down Platforming Example

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Set of tiles to create a map for top-down games with island theme
  • Well, after lots of pain and misery, I have finally created my very onw top-down platforming example. It allows for jumping and multiple levels of platforms. It also has some basic Z-Ordering for when the player goes behind raised areas, but without being able to set the Z-order to a number, it's kind of a pain(hint, hint, hint.

Download Here!

The code is fully commented(although probably poorly since I'm not very good at conveying points.

• Nice example! Just an idea about the shadow snapping up levels... maybe if you used 2 objects and changed their width and height, you could have a shadow half way up a slope.

• that's pretty cool...

Going to be using it for something?

• would you be so nice to explain this

"This will create an instance of each graphical object for each detector object."

to me ?

Or maybe containers in general.

• Thanks for the comments, everybody.

Ashley: Thanks. On the shadow thing, I've been working on it using the method you suggested to some success. I'll work on it some more later and see if I can get it working right.

ssbfalcon: Thanks. I'm mostly just making the engine now to see if I can do it, but I do want to make something later down the road.

TheInstance: I was basically explaining the use of containers for the terrain detectors. The detectors each have a terrain graphic in their container, so instead of placing detectors and terrain pieces, you only have to place the detectors and the terrain pieces will be created automatically. Hope that explains it better.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • So all there is to say about Containers is this ?

When you create/spawn a "contained" object, the system will automatically create the other *contained* objects to complete the original container.

How ever the creating is done, in the layout or by events.

When you destroy one *contained* object, all *contained* objects will be destroyed.

Shortly said: the system will always complete a container by creating the missing objects, but when the "incompleteness" is created by a destroy event, the whole container is destroyed.

And not like i read in other posts, every event you apply to a contained object will be applyd to all objects in the container. (wich would be heaven)

• Containers create and destroy together, but they also all pick together in the events. If an event picks one of the instances in the container, all instances in the container are picked.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)