My TIGSource competition entry: This Cursed Rock

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Match the incoming diamonds with the same ones to earn score!
  • Thanks for the support, guys

No results yet, as voting hasn't started. It'll probably start in a week or so.

Ask them to install the latest DirectX end user runtime.

Thanks Ash, I'll let them know. Hopefully that'll take care of it. I've gotten a roughly equal number of "this game is great" and "this game crashes on me" responses so I was getting a little worried.

And I know that everyone should have their DirectX updated anyway, I just hope the hassle of having to do that doesn't affect my votes

On an unrelated note, my hard drive crashed last night. My internet cut out, so I did the usual "reset router/reset computer" thing, and whaddaya know, my computer wouldn't reboot. It just popped up with "Disk read error." I was pretty worried there for a while, but then I swapped my master and slave drives and installed windows on the new master, and the old drive is still readable (it just won't boot). I thought I'd lost all my work, but thankfully it's still there. Crisis averted.

Now if only I can get it connected to the internet . Ugh, I hate having to reconfigure my damned network.

• Anybody have any idea what this one means?

"An unexpected error occurred and the application was terminated. We apologise for the inconvenience. Please report this bug to the application vendor."

I'm thinking he doesn't have the right hardware, maybe?

• No, that's the Construct runtime wrapper message for when something crashes, so you don't get the 'please report this message to Microsoft' message. It could be anything... they definitely have up to date DirectX installs? Did you build it with the latest version of Construct? Does it crash on just Vista/XP/any other specifics?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • No, that's the Construct runtime wrapper message for when something crashes, so you don't get the 'please report this message to Microsoft' message. It could be anything... they definitely have up to date DirectX installs? Did you build it with the latest version of Construct? Does it crash on just Vista/XP/any other specifics?

Yeah, I built with the latest version. He's using XP, and yeah he ran the DirectX update. He also say he can run the Construct tech demos, so I don't know what's up. So far this is the only person reporting this error.

• Since I'm the problem person back at TIG, I figured I'd join this thread instead of deadeye having to report back and forth. Thanks for helping me out, deadeye. Your game (and The Lake too) really looks promising.

There are three games at TIG that use Construct. Neither of them work for me, they show the message deadeye transcribed. Here is a summary of things I did:

• Downloaded games from the TIG contest
    • Tried to run them and got a message to update DirectX
    • Updated DirectX with the November 2008 version
    • Tried to run them and got that error message
    • Ran the following tech demos successfully: Spaceship Demo, The Rain Demo, RTS Tech Demo, Ghost Shooter Demo, 3D Driving Tech Demo
    • Just now, I decided to try games from other sources. I downloaded Dernier Cadeau and D.I.A. from the threads next door. Same error for both, except that on D.I.A the error only happened after I tried to start a game (I got to see the menu at least).

I don't think it's fullscreen, the Rain Demo works well in fullscreen. I even ended up downloading Construct. Construct looks neat, by the way. I might look into it deeper some time.

I thought it might be transition or something (since D.I.A. works up to the menu), but I made a little sample with transition and it worked ok (a side comment, liked how simple it was to make, though I had to look it up on the wiki). There's something in bigger games that smaller demos don't have that's crashing them for me...

I suppose I can try to play the games on another computer later, but I'm curious about this problem. I'll eventually stumble upon more games made using Construct and it would be a bit annoying not being able to play them on my computer.

Sorry for all the trouble.

• Deadeye, can you send him a version of the game with the XAudio2 object deleted from all layouts and see if that works?

• Hey, welcome

I hope these guys can help you out. I wouldn't have the first clue as to what's going on.

Also, I didn't even know there were three Construct entries until you mentioned it. I haven't been able to keep up with the compo because I was so busy working on my own project. I'm getting there though, I've had a chance to play about ten games.

Deadeye, can you send him a version of the game with the XAudio2 object deleted from all layouts and see if that works?

Yeah, I can do that. Gimme a few minutes here, I'm still getting my computer in order after the hard-drive crash so I have to reinstall Construct.

• Actually, I just made a small sample myself that plays a XAudio2 object and it crashed. So there's the problem. Thanks. I guess you don't need to make me that version anymore.

Now, how do I fix it?

• Also, I didn't even know there were three Construct entries until you mentioned it.

I didn't know that either until they all crashed in the same way. In fact, I wouldn't have even known about Construct if they didn't crash. I had seen something about Construct once before, but I didn't pay much attention.

I haven't been able to keep up with the compo because I was so busy working on my own project. I'm getting there though, I've had a chance to play about ten games.

There are some very good games there. I've played quite a few, but I'm particularly looking forward to playing yours. Yours has the most replies and the most views, so it's probably good.

• Wow I go away for two or three days and look what happens!

I'm going to have to try this out as soon as I get home! WEEEEEEEE!

~Sol

• Yes, dammit! Play my game or I will shove a didgeridoo up your aborigine ass and make you play the Star Spangled Banner.

Ew, on second thought... no I won't.

Actually, I just made a small sample myself that plays a XAudio2 object and it crashed. So there's the problem. Thanks. I guess you don't need to make me that version anymore.

Now, how do I fix it?

Actually I think making a no-sound version would probably be a good idea so that folks who can't get it running even with the updates and stuff can play it.

Unfortunately, I have some sound-triggered events (is sound playing/is sound not playing) in the opening cutscene so it's messing up the order of the dialogue and stuff

• Actually, I just made a small sample myself that plays a XAudio2 object and it crashed. So there's the problem.

Hmmm... you do have a sound card, right? Does it just crash straight away or does it crash when you try to play a sample?

• Hmmm... you do have a sound card, right? Does it just crash straight away or does it crash when you try to play a sample?

Right. It crashes straight away. I tried the two following things:

• Autoplay file using Directsound on left mouse button: plays sound ok after I click.
    • Autoplay file using XAudio2 on left mouse button: crashes before I'm even able to click.
  • Okay, got everything sorted out as far as a no-sound version goes.

Download: Right click/save as

Let me know if this works for you, scytos. And don't forget to comment in my compo thread

And I hope you can get Construct running, it really is a good program.

• Yay, it works! Thanks.

But to be honest, I really want to play the version with sound, not to mention I'd like to play The Lake too. So I'll give it a few days to see if anyone around here can help me out - if not, I'll either play it without sound or find another computer to play it on. I played only the first scene, the graphics look really great.

But thanks for all the trouble of making that version.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)